Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

I just finished Murder on Pleasant Avenue, (A Gaslight Mystery, Book 23) by Victoria Thompson.  Another excellent historical fiction read with excellent research into the early 1900s in NYC.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Where Have All The Boys Gone by Jenny Colgan as of all of her books I enjoyed this one too!  Full of colorful character, and based in Scotland for a big part of this story!

Contributor

Dear Edward was a wonderful book. I also highly recommend All the Flowers in Paris and The Henna Artist

Respected Contributor

I just finished reading It's OK to Laugh by Nora McInerny Purmort. Having recently lost my husband it was a timely book for me. But I think the basics of her grief fit the loss of any loved one. I have read a lot of reviews saying they didn't like her gallows humor. I found it refreshing and found myself laughing through tears several times. Loved the book and hope she writes another to share her stories of moving on with her life.
Esteemed Contributor

@paulazaj   In case you aren't aware, there is an alternate ending to The Henna Artist.  Google it - is on Reese's Hello Sunshine website. I haven't read the book yet, but got it recently at a great Amazon Kindle sale.

I'll include the link here, but some people don't like to click.  I didn't see any ads, so hope this doesn't get deleted before you see it.

https://hello-sunshine.com/categories/reeses-book-club

Honored Contributor

I was flattered when a hardworking single mom asked me to read and discuss books with her 7th grade daughter this summer. Mom doesn't have time and is burned out after trying to home school during the Covid crisis. We're reading WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED by Judy Blundell. It's one of those unreliable narrator books because the main character in this YA novel is trying to piece things together using her limited knowledge of love/lies/secrets in a book that takes place just after WWII. 

If anyone knows of Young Adult books that their kids or grandkids enjoyed, I'd love to start a list. BTW, Mom won't let us read vampire or fantasy books - I respect her decisions because, well, because she's the mom.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to In Five Years by Rebecca Serle.  This was a short book that really wasn't what the description made me expect.  This isn't what the book is about, but an example of what I mean: if you are reading a book called A Dog's Life that's described as a day in the life of a dog, but it ends up really being about domestic abuse - you're just not expecting that!  I didn't really mind the twist it took, but I could see others being turned off. In a way, the set up was kind of a cheap way to the meat of the book.

Anyways, this is the 2nd book by this author that I listened to.  I think she makes me feel young and smart!  Haha. But, if I actually think about the book, it would be a middle of the road B-/C grade.

Trusted Contributor

@cody2, I'm so sorry for the recent loss of your husband. Wishing you strength and peace as you navigate life without him.
Hugs!!!!!😢
Respected Contributor

@AuntG  You may want to go to your neighborhood library website. They usually have summer reading lists for kids. Her school may also give out a summer reading list. All I can think of right now is Little Woman and the Traveling Pants books. Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

Another Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett: "The Truth." 

A nobleman, William De Worde, starts a newspaper and printing press in Discworld. Some of his employees include a vampire, (who's trying to fit in socially) and a lawyer zombie. 

Pratchett has a strange of humor and parodies modern society. I need this kind of escapism from reality at times.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain