Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

[ Edited ]

Walk The Wire, by David Baldacci  loaned by a dear reader buddy;

Thrill by Jackie Collins still reading from my own stash since mid March. 

Library as one on hold for me so I guess I will finally go back over there now that they opened on June 1st.  Hours are not the same only Monday - Friday 10:00 to 5:00.

30 patrons at a time inside.  Thank goodness the library is down the street from my office.  The book waiting on my is a new release and I am number 1 but I am sure that all will be fine with books going back and forth between all our homes.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Finished The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubica. Another suspenseful read by this author; I enjoy all of her books.

I am beginning The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes for book club next month. My friend, a school librarian, chose this title, which is my first book by the author.  So far I have been laughing aloud at Alice's attempt to adapt to life in the US.

Trusted Contributor

I read 3 new books recently, and would rank them like this:

Good: DADDY’S GIRLS by Danielle Steel - an okay book, but I liked her other recent book THE WEDDING DRESS much better.

Better: HUSH by James Patterson - latest entry in the Harriet Blue Australia series. It was okay; I ended up skimming a lot of it.

Best: HIDEAWAY by Nora Roberts - stand-alone romantic thriller. Very good, but maybe a little too long.

Next up is THE TALENTED MR. VARG, the second book in Alexander McCall Smith’s Swedish detective series.
Honored Contributor

Hey, @LoriLori, you ok? I haven't seen you around the book shop for awhile?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have read so much during the pandemic that the books are starting to run together. I just finished What Happens In Paradise by Elin Hildebrand. This is the second book in the trilogy. I have enjoyed her other series more but I will finish the trilogy. Finally got to read Becoming, the autobiography on Michelle Obama. Excellent book that I really enjoyed. Currently reading The Wife by Alafair Burke. New author for me and so far, I like the book.

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

I have read so much during the pandemic that the books are starting to run together. I just finished What Happens In Paradise by Elin Hildebrand. This is the second book in the trilogy. I have enjoyed her other series more but I will finish the trilogy. Finally got to read Becoming, the autobiography on Michelle Obama. Excellent book that I really enjoyed. Currently reading The Wife by Alafair Burke. New author for me and so far, I like the book.

@texassunflower 

I was so disappointed in What Happens In Paradise that I couldn't finish it.  That has never happened to me with her books before.  It might have helped to read the 1st one in the series.  I  can usually read series out of order but not this one. I will not be reading the 3rd one.

Dying to get to Michelle Obama's Becoming but i have a bunch of newer books that I want to read first.

Esteemed Contributor

@texassunflower @SWEET    Becoming was certainly among the top books I read in 2019! Delighted you are both reading it this year. Michelle Obama is an amazing woman and the world wonders what is becoming next from her integrity and many talents. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Author In Chief by Craig Fehrman (5 Stars) 
Meticulous research of each President's life, love of books, reading (except Donald Trump), libraries, and writing. Years spent working on books prior to Presidental runs is not unusual; it is a necessary part of the process. The reader becomes aware of the struggles (for some) to write and the impacts of these books on the American public. 

Interesting how closely tied was the printing process with the early men who became Presidents of the US. 

Craig Fehrman provides hundreds of new stories, scenes, quotations, and details to create an unprecendented human take on our highest leaders. This book is a must-read for history lovers, political lovers, book lovers, students, and everyone who is interested in learning more about our presidents. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Million Dollar Staircase, book 1 in the Will Harper Mysteries by David Crosby.  This is a fast-paced, easy read book that I read in one sitting.  It was that good.

Will Harper is an Atlanta journalist, who sees the writing on the wall on the longevity of newspaper people.  When he unexpectedly inherits an estate, he puts the home up for sale, buys a large trawler, and moves it to a marina on the west coast of Florida.

The story is about eminent domain and local government forcing small business owners out of their business.  The story is loosely based on one in SC.  It is about corrupt politicians and murder.

The opening line is  Start the boat.  We've got to get rid of the body.

If you like mysteries, give this one a try.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamiltom, the main character is such a psychco  but it makes for a good book, you never know what she will be up to next!