Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

@CareBears wrote:

@alliswell  I believe at one time this was a Lifetime movie, very good,  I requested the book, I wonder if it will follow the movie?

Either that or a series. I remember it, too.

Trusted Contributor

@pateacher - thanks for your review of Blonde.  I've read several books on MM.  I will add this to my list.

I am reading The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian.  I've read several of his books and enjoyed them.  Not sure if I will finish this one.  The story is interesting - an American man vanishes in Viet Nam and it seems he is into some dishonest stuff like creating viruses in labs, etc.  Sounds familiar?  No bats but a lot of rodents, which I am terrified of.  So I may have to put it aside.Woman Tongue

Our library is open for curbside pickup so I was able to get The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larsen and A Bookshop in Berlin.

Regular Contributor

THe Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate.  Love it!  It's well written and a great story.

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005  Hope you enjoy The Splendid and the Vile as much as I did.

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

"Joyce Carol Oates has crafted a well thought out and quite intimate novel of a family, and family life in small-town America. So here we meet the Mulvaneys as the story takes us back to earlier years. Living on a relatively small-scale farm, and the father running a roofing company, while his wife runs her small antiques shop on the farm.  There are four children, three boys, and one girl."

Did not read the book but saw the movie and it was excellent. I will look for this book, would love to see how close the movie was to the book.

Respected Contributor

Finished Someday This Will Fit (nf) by Joan Silverman.  A fast book that I read in two days.  It was a book of all of her columns, etc. 

Onto Jamie Beck's If You Must Know.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Thin Air by Lisa Gray, very good book and a fast read for me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 @Judaline  I may not like the author's style of writing, but it's basically a very interesting book on Nancy Pelosi (whom I do admire), the real way members of the House & Senate work and I'm a better voter for having read the book.

Isn't that why we read? It made me much more informed and, yes, I may have disagreed with the author's starry-eyed approach . . . but I thought for myself about the process and have definate opinions about Congress.

I do admire Nancy Pelosi for tackling some of the policies and biased men in Congress. She a strong, savvy female who has weathered their insults and political storms with dignity and integrity. That's a good read! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

"Treadstone Resurrection." by Joshua Hood. The book is based on Rober Ludlum's "Jason Bourne" series and introduces the operative agent Adam Hayes. He's an interesting character and I recommend this for fans of the Bourne novels. There is violence just because of the type of work Hayes does. It's to be expected in a spy novel, though. Very good read. 

Daniel Silva fans, he has a new Gabriel Allon book coming out in July: "The Order." I will be placing a hold when it's available. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Just finished Love you More by Lisa Gardner, another winner!!!!!Fast read and very very good. Not sure what I will read next, but will decide and post very soon!