Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

@1Snickers Thank you - I'll order from library. I need to switch to e-books. Now I only do audio. I should do both. Thanks for giving me a 'push.'

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:
I just finished reading It's OK to Laugh by Nora McInerny Purmort. Having recently lost my husband it was a timely book for me. But I think the basics of her grief fit the loss of any loved one. I have read a lot of reviews saying they didn't like her gallows humor. I found it refreshing and found myself laughing through tears several times. Loved the book and hope she writes another to share her stories of moving on with her life.

@cody2  - I am just learning about the loss of your husband. I am so very sorry to hear this. I wish you love, and may his memory be a blessing to you for all the years of your life. Hugs, Sunny xoxox

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Heartstopper by Joy Fielding, IMit was  very good, full of action especially at the end!

Trusted Contributor

I finished The Huntress by Kate Quinn. This book had been on my to-read-wishlist for a while and finally got it from my local library as an e-book. I found myself really enjoying the story when it was about the female flyers in Russia and the Europe war stories. However I didn't enjoy the part based in Boston with the teenage girl and her family. When all of the main characters came to USA to track the Huntress, it just seemed to drag and I found myself starting to skim the chapters since the book is quite long. Overall I enjoyed the book but didn't love it. Sort of surprised to say that since it has tons of glowing reviews. I didn't know previously about the female pilots fighting for Russia in World War II so that was very interesting and if the book would have been just about that part, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the author's other book The Alice Network much more. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished On Division by Goldie Goldbloom.  I'm not sorry I read it but here's my review to explain it better.

"It was a frustrating and hard book to read in my opinion. Sort of sad and depressing but yet I couldn't stop reading it and it was fast reading.

I was sort of aware what was going to happen in this life of a Chasidic woman who was pregnant with twins but refused to tell her family, hiding her whole pregnancy, especially her husband even though she tried to tell him but could not do so for some reason. How can a woman go 9 months without noone noticing and how could she keep such a secret and tell the mid-wife at the hospital where she went for pre-natal care and not her own family of 10 children -- 3 still living at home (boys) and a daughter who lived below her in the same house? Her daughter thought she was kidding when she tried to tell her. She thought she was just fat w/extra layers."

Onto A Reason To Be by Norman McCombs. 

Trusted Contributor

Now that my library has re-opened for curbside Holds, I have some new books to read!  I read Danielle Steel's new novel, THE WEDDING DRESS, and thought it was pretty good.  It's about a dress passed down through 4 generations of a family.  Then, I read the latest entry in the Temperance Brennan "Bones" series, A CONSPIRACY OF BONES, by Kathy Reichs.  Her books are hit or miss with me, and this one was a miss.  I ended up just skimming it.

One of our friends here on the Book Forum recommended the mysteries of Scandinavian author Viveca Sten.  I am reading the first book in one of her series, called STILL WATERS, and I like it very much.  I have been to Stockholm, so I am enjoying picturing the scenery.

@icezeus - I agree with you about John Sandford's STORM FRONT.  I didn't like it either.  I think 99% of his books are great, but every once in a while there's a stinker.

I love J. D. Robb's In Death books too.  I've read the whole series several times.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder at the Bomb Shelter, book 3 of the 1950's cozy historical mystery series featuring Rosa Reed, by Lee Strauss.  This is an off-shoot of the Ginger Gold mysteries by the same author.  Rosa Reed is the daughter of Ginger Gold and Basil Reed, and went from a police detective in London to starting her own private investigation business in California.  Very good series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I'm about 1/4 through "The Wrong Mother"by Sophie Hannah. This is the next in the series after "Little Face" which was đź‘ŽIMO. Really enjoying TWM!!
Regular Contributor

Am 100 pages in to The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd.   It's very, very excellent.

I love all her books.  She is such a good writer.

This is one of the best books I've read in ages.

Respected Contributor

A  BEACH WISH. Shelly Noble

THE PERFECT GIRL. Gilly Macmillan

142 Ostriches April Davila

FIND HER ALIVE  Lisa Regan

SEVEN DAYS. Alex Lake

IN PLAIN SIGHT. Marion Todd