Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

@hooked on books 

Sophie Hannah is a good writer and I have read several of her books (not your title though).  One criticism I have is that her books seem too long.  She could eliminate a lot of the repetition and description and just "tidy up" the story.  Maybe she needs a better editor.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Tonight I finished YOU WILL KNOW ME by Megan Abbott.  It describes very well the life of a young gymnast and her family.  The family has a dark secret.  All-in-all, rather disturbing.

Honored Contributor

I just want to say these are all such good reviews-they let me know right away if this is a must read-or not. Keep up the good work and I'll try to do as well.

I finally was 'allowed' to pick up my two holds-didn't like the first one right away, switched to the other one-Dead Woman Walking. Wow, who in the world would think someone could see a murder from a hot air balloon. Well, that's how it starts-has my interest but it better not get too unbelievable!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Here is my review of Elin Hilderbrand's What Happens In Paradise:

"Now I can see why Elin Hilderbrand put a disclaimer before reading the book that you should read the first one first to get a better understanding (my words).

This might be the first Elin Hilderbrand book that I didn't finish. I mostly can read series out of order but this one was not one of them. Obviously the characters were all there.

I kept picking the book up and then setting it down and skimming through the book to see if I wanted to keep reading. I finally gave up at page 77 which is in my range of pages (50-100) to stop reading if I don't enjoy a book.

What a let down. I will be reading her others that I have missed (The Winter Series and Summer of 69) and her future books (but not the 3rd one in this series) because I enjoy her writing.

I'm taking a break from reading print books and read the ebook On Division by Goldie Goldbloom.  I need a good Jewish book to read for a chance.

Hi @SWEET - I read that book last year, and some parts are still in my mind. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (Enjoy is a tough word for this book, as it's not a happy one at all).

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Attention thriller fans...this one is a winner!  I've been very picky lately since I have experienced some thrillers not so thrilling.  Loved this one!

D28B302C-966C-4281-AC68-6835B459B11B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
I'm still working my way through "Little Face" by Sophie Hannah. It's a good book but for some reason, it makes me feel very "unsettled". I know that sounds strange. While I am enjoying it, I'll actually be relieved when I finish it. Don't know why I have this reaction to this particular book!!😕

It took me a bit to get into this book as well. I did enjoyit and I do have another of her books, but I agree that they could be shorter, parts of it seem repetitious......

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates. The book is about Marilyn Monroe and contains a good bit of information about her childhood and teen years, including her first marriage.

I'm a little over one-third of the way through the book.  Marilyn is just breaking into the movies.

Although I realize that her early years were not happy ones, I had no idea of the sadness and abuse she endured.

Respected Contributor

I'm reading The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas. I first read Little Monsters by her and enjoyed her writing. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake   I noticed you like Barbara Delinsky. I'm reading her new e-book from my library called "A Week At  The Shore."  Good so far! 
  It's a Summer story of a mother and her daughter returning to the mother's home. There's a family mystery and good characters. Good looking guy included! 
  Since the library is closed I'm reading more and on e-books: Olive Again was good. and The Hypnotist's Love Story. 

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Here is my review of Elin Hilderbrand's What Happens In Paradise:

"Now I can see why Elin Hilderbrand put a disclaimer before reading the book that you should read the first one first to get a better understanding (my words).

This might be the first Elin Hilderbrand book that I didn't finish. I mostly can read series out of order but this one was not one of them. Obviously the characters were all there.

I kept picking the book up and then setting it down and skimming through the book to see if I wanted to keep reading. I finally gave up at page 77 which is in my range of pages (50-100) to stop reading if I don't enjoy a book.

What a let down. I will be reading her others that I have missed (The Winter Series and Summer of 69) and her future books (but not the 3rd one in this series) because I enjoy her writing.

I'm taking a break from reading print books and read the ebook On Division by Goldie Goldbloom.  I need a good Jewish book to read for a chance.

Hi @SWEET - I read that book last year, and some parts are still in my mind. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (Enjoy is a tough word for this book, as it's not a happy one at all).

@sunala 

I was wondering if you read it or not.  I downloded it from NG last year I think and taking a break from print books for now (won't last long).  I didn't expect it to be a happy one since it started out kind of different.  I'm about 45% through and it's fast moving.  I love Jewish fiction as you know.