Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~WHAT ARE YOU READING?~ JUNE 2018

@abbalulu wrote:

Been down with bronchitis lately and then we are having internet problems recently so it has been hard to get on here. I finally got enough of a connection today to get on, at least briefly.

I read China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan-the second book in the China Rich series. These books are a total fantasy of the lives of the very rich but they are light and fun so I will read the last in the series. The first book is coming out as a movie sometime later this year. The cast is good so I hope the movie will be too.

Then I read Lottery by Patricia Wood. I believe it was @sunala who talked about this book and she was so right. It was wonderful! How could you not like Perry? Or Per as my husband called him-he absolutely loved the book too and he is harder to please than I am when it comes to reading material. Anyone who wants to be sweetly uplifted should read this.

@abbalulu- wasn't Perry the best character ever? I'll never forget him! I wish everyone here would read it; don't you? Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed it.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I read The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho).  It's one of the books listed in the The Great American Read.  My review is in that thread.

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover (Susan Wittig Albert).  I really like this series set in the 1930's in the fictional town of Darling, Alabama. There is always some American history of the day in the plot and nothing too terrible ever happens.  It's one of the few cozies I still read.  I always enjoy getting back to these characters.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lowcountry Book Club by Susan Boyer

The latest one in her Liz Talbot Cozy Mystery series. They're set in Charleston, SC and surrounding areas.  Look forward to the next one, I've really enjoyed this series.

Honored Contributor

I am halfway through Peter Swanson's HER EVERY FEAR -

I have always enjoyed his thrillers - 

Following a brutal attack by her ex-boyfriend, Kate Priddy makes an uncharacteristically bold decision after her cousin, Corbin Dell, suggests a temporary apartment swap - and she moves from London to Boston.But soon after her arrival Kate makes a shocking discovery: Corbin's next-door neighbour, a young woman named Audrey Marshall, has been murdered.When the police begin asking questions about Corbin's relationship with Audrey, and his neighbours come forward with their own suspicions, a shaken Kate has few answers, and many questions of her own. Jetlagged and emotionally unstable, her imagination playing out her every fear, Kate can barely trust herself. so how can she trust any of the strangers she's just met?

Esteemed Contributor

I am about half way through Julia Buckley's A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's  Apprentice Mystery).  So far, it is very good.  The story is about Lena London, who is hired to apprentice with the author who inspired her to become a writer.  Lena moves into the author's home, which to many, is a source of intrigue.  The story does have the requisite murder, handsome police chief, and mysterious neighbor, all based in a beautiful small town.  It is a good read.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala @abbalulu I read Lottery several months ago, and I loved it, Loved Perry, quite an unbelievable character, who stole your heart from the get go, if you have not read this book and are able to I highly recommend it!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm enjoying The Fallen, by David Baldacci. This is the 4th book in the Amos Decker series aka The Memory Man.

This book is no longer on my Kindle, but as long as I don't turn on the wireless, I will be able to finish reading it. Good thing I learned about that feature!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@sunala @abbalulu I read Lottery several months ago, and I loved it, Loved Perry, quite an unbelievable character, who stole your heart from the get go, if you have not read this book and are able to I highly recommend it!

I agree. It's a book that will just make you happy.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

RIP Anthony Bourdain.  I had such fun reading "KItchen Confidential."  He was the rock star of the food world and from humble beginnings and began as a dishwasher on the Cape.