Honored Contributor

Re: ~WHAT ARE YOU READING?~ JUNE 2018

@teganslaw wrote:

After F. Scott Fitzgerald and John Steinbeck, I wanted to get into something lighter, so have started Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel: Pyramids.  This high priest becomes a pharoah after his father died, but he doesn't understand exactly what a pharoah does. The book has strange characters and Pratchett's unique sense of humor and satire. 

@teganslaw, the only Pratchett I've read is "Good Omens" a book I love dearly.  Can't commit to the breadth and depth of Discworld.  Just wondering if you've read the books of Christopher Moore?  And if you haven't, I recommend them.  In order.  

Contributor

LoriLori it was your post I was looking for!  That explains why I haven't seen it - you haven't finished it!  Backman is definitely one of a kind!  I hope he gives us another book soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@Grammycakes I am about 4 chapters into it, but had to set it aside to listen to The Great Alone, as it was due back before Us Against You, I would say if you have not read Beartown in awhile, I would suggest you go back and read it, before reading Us Against You, there was so much I had forgotten, but if time is limited, Fredrik does do a nice job of reminding you of what happened without going into much detail.

Honored Contributor

@Grammycakes wrote:

LoriLori it was your post I was looking for!  That explains why I haven't seen it - you haven't finished it!  Backman is definitely one of a kind!  I hope he gives us another book soon.

Thanks.  There is so much heart in that book...I'm bursting with the heart Backman pours into it.  

ITA with @CareBears about reading "Beartown" again before you read "Us Against You."  So much of that material matters.  The intricacies. 

Because although they're both simple books in one way -- no symbolism, people won't be writing theses on them, no subtext even --

-- simple that way yet what's on the page is so complex because wow, how Backman handles so many characters, so many different events, there is so much going on at all times -- how he moves so many people and events around in the book, it amazes me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished THE BOOKSELLER and THE GLASS FOREST this weekend.

Next up:  MEMORY MAN, NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT and WORDY SHIPMATES.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@sunala, thanks for letting me know you are in process!  I will report back.  LM

Hi @Lilysmom - I just finished. All I can say is "Wow." Typical Stephen King. I'm not used to reading such long books anymore, but it was really good. It reminded me of his older books, and I'm glad I took the time to read it.

Let me know what you think!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Grammycakes wrote:

Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't seen anyone's post about Us Against You.  How was it?  Was it everything we've been waiting for?  It's next on my list.  I just finished Little Fires Everywhere.  Sooo good.  At first I htought it was a little slow, but it quickly sucked me in.

@Grammycakes, I love it soooooooooo much that I'm having trouble finishing it.  I'm going to come to the end despite my best efforts not to -- probably tomorrow.  It is an amazing book IMO.  Not fair to say better than "Beartown" because it wouldn't be possible without "Beartown" but...he is so incredible.  So much sadness, some humor, a lot of pathos, empathy, -- Backman is so wise I find it stunning.  

Little Fires Everywhere was my favorite read of 2017.  Loved that book and always love discovering a new author.  @LoriLori @Grammycakes

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  I didn't like Celeste Ng's "Everything I Never Told You" at all  I found it boring and uninspired.   Maybe one day I'll get to "Little Fires Everywhere.." 

For anyone who loved "Everything I Never Told You," I recommend Stewart O'Nan's "Songs for the Missing."  Slow and steady and beautiful and heartbreaking.

Valued Contributor

"The Echo Killing" by Christi Daugherty is excellent. I highly recommend it. Well written, intriguing plot, touch of romance, all set in Savannah. 

From her website:

"Harper McClain has been obsessed with crime ever since her mother was killed when Harper was twelve years old. The killer was never found, and that unsolved murder haunts her as she spends her nights wandering  the dark city streets of Savannah, Georgia, searching for criminals.

Now a crime reporter for the struggling local newspaper, Harper’s life remains tangled up in crime. Most of her friends are cops. She works nights, so she has no social life. Her work consumes her. One day, she stumbles upon the scene of a homicide that looks hauntingly familiar: a young girl with bloody hands being led away by a detective, a nude, female victim stabbed multiple times, and no  evidence pointing towards a suspect.

​Harper has seen all of this before in her own life. ​The similarities between the murder of Marie Whitney and her own mother’s death​ lead her to believe they’re both victims of the same killer.

At last, she has the chance to find the murderer who’s eluded the police for fifteen years. She can make sure another little girl isn’t haunted forever by a senseless act of violence. Finally, she will have justice.

But her investigation will put Harper herself in the killer’s crosshairs. She will have to risk everything she cares about – including her own life – to find the truth."

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

After F. Scott Fitzgerald and John Steinbeck, I wanted to get into something lighter, so have started Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel: Pyramids.  This high priest becomes a pharoah after his father died, but he doesn't understand exactly what a pharoah does. The book has strange characters and Pratchett's unique sense of humor and satire. 

@teganslaw, the only Pratchett I've read is "Good Omens" a book I love dearly.  Can't commit to the breadth and depth of Discworld.  Just wondering if you've read the books of Christopher Moore?  And if you haven't, I recommend them.  In order.  

I never read Christopher Moore. Which series is the best one to start? His vampire love stories or his reaper series? I also noticed that he has "stand alone" books. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain