Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~WHAT ARE YOU READING?~ JUNE 2018

I have been so busy lately that I missed giving an update on the latest book that I have completed. I finished New York Dead by Stuart Woods.  I enjoy these types of books and this one did not disappoint. I have found a new series of books that I can enjoy.

I started Post Mortem by Patricia Cornwell a few days ago. I remember reading some of her books years ago. I have no idea why I stopped especially since so far I am enjoying this book. There are just so many books that I can't keep up and I move around to different authors depending upon my mood. Sometimes I forget to come back to an enjoyable series. I can't remember where I left off, so i decided to just start at the beginning.

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished claws for concern, I enjoyed this book,  Diesel is a Maine Coon cat, that charms even the grumpiest of all people, he seems to understand what people are saying, he responds with meows and affection  He is owned by a widower who takes him everywhere he is allowed, to the library where he is a big hit and loved by all!  Diesels owner meets up with a True Crime writer and agree to work together to solve a cold case that took place 20 years ago. It was a sweet book just reading about the cats personality clinched it for me!  Overall I would give it a solid 4 stars!

Not sure which book is next, but I have plenty to choose from, enjoy your weekend, it is raining here today, so it is the perfect day to read, but then every day is a perfect day to read!

@CareBears - I read this series too and like it.  It is a nice, gentle cozy mystery series.  If anyone is interested, the author's name is Miranda James and the first book in the series is "Murder Past Due."

Respected Contributor

I just started reading The Family Gathering by Robyn Carr.  It's the third book in her Sullivan's Crossing series.  I can already tell it's going to be good.  She's a very talented author and I've read some of her other books, too. 

Trusted Contributor

I just finished The Marriage Lie.

The Marriage Lie

Iris and Will have been married for seven years, and life is as close to "perfect" (que the suspense music!) as it can be.  But on the morning Will flies out for a business trip to Florida, Iris's happy world comes to an abrupt halt: another plane headed for Seattle has crashed into a field, killing everyone on board and, according to the airline, Will was one of the passengers.

Hmmmmm, ...

Regular Contributor

Me too. I didn't care for the second one, but I really liked In a Dark Dark Wood. The Death of Mrs. Westaway is amazing.

Honored Contributor

Finished THE RIVER AT NIGHT, it was really good, a thriller that moved along quickly and held my interest throughout....I am now starting the book BRING ME BACK, by B.A. Paris.......I love her writing and have read her other books, so looking forward to this one. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle.  The plot is if you had 5 people who you would want to have dinner with, living or dead, who would they be.  This is fiction and an interesting concept for a book.  I really liked it. 

Onto Jill Mansell's This Could Change Everything

Honored Contributor

How Hard Can It Be, by Allison Pearson;

The Husband Hour, by Jamie Brenner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Books I have read recently:\

The Flight Attendant - really wanted to love this book but it just got more and more ridiculous as it went on and by the end I really didn't love it!!!  Main character is a complete trainwreck!!!

All The Single Ladies - light fun read by Dorothea Benton Frank...always enjoy her books!

Beneath A Scarlet Sky - historical fiction based on true story set in Italy during WWII...may be my favorite book so far this year...highly, highly recommend!!!

Sunburn by Laura Lippman - saw this recommended by Harlan Coben so had to read...very "film noire" type of book that I couldn't put down...loved it!

Reading The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth now and so far it's really good!

Respected Contributor

I read Circe (Madeline Miller) and did not expect to love it as much as I did.   I have forgotten most of what I knew about Greek mythology, but it didn't matter.  Many of the well known gods and mortals appear in the story but with a slant to Circe's point of view.  The author has breathed new life into this character, a minor goddess, water nymph, sorceress, witch, enchantress. The writing is incredibly beautiful.  This is one of my favorite books of the year.