Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~WHAT ARE YOU READING?~ JUNE 2018

@smoky22 I just returned this book to the library with only reading very few pages, I just could not get into it, maybe it was just not my time to read, I will remember it to try it at another time.  I have a lot going on in my personal life, and my mind tends to wander worrying about other things.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears  I think that happens to all of us.  I've read glowing reviews on here for some books that I just can't get into.  Reading is so personal.  I never take offense if someone doesn't like the same books I do.  Keep reading what you like Heart.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I brought this over from the May thread:

@Tgbtg

Thank you for letting us know about this book. I was going to place it on my TBR list but I can't deal with drunk main characters. It makes me think of Girl on the train which I absolutely hated because the main character was a sloppy, fall down drunk who always made stupid decisions. Ugh...  

I forgot to get the name of the poster, sorry. I just wanted to say I so agree. I quit The Girl on a Train very early on, and I would never read The Flight Attendant. You are so right. But there's something for everyone! (thank heavens, lol)

@Judaline

The only reason why I finished the book was due to the fact that I was on vacation. I was in St. Marteen, and had taken a tour boat over to St. Barts. I always carry a book with me, and had a few hours to kill after the tour. I hated the book, I was able to find a bookstore on the Island however, all of the books were in French. I had to finish The Girl on the Train, which literally made me want to throw myself in front of the train.  BTW, it was a group of my girlfriends that went over to the Island everyone had their Kindle or I-Pad. I was the only idiot that actually took a physical book.

Honored Contributor

I just finished It’s Always the Husband  by Michele Campbell and it was just so-so.  The book seemed disjointed to me with the first and second parts reading like two books and although it was good character building I forgot what the book was about and it became a bit meandering until the end.  I would give it a very weak recommendation but it’s by no means a bad read. 

Now I’m reading The Ex: a Novel by Alafair Burke and I like it so far.  It’s about a Lawyer defending a man  with whom she was involved 20 years ago before he became a celebrated author.  I’m only into the third chapter so jury is still out but so far so good, as they say!

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I've started The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.  It's ok so far.  It's about women in France during WWII.  It was recommended to me.

Keep reading!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@smoky22 I just returned this book to the library with only reading very few pages, I just could not get into it, maybe it was just not my time to read, I will remember it to try it at another time.  I have a lot going on in my personal life, and my mind tends to wander worrying about other things.

Hi, @CareBears- Just wondered what you thought of The Cape Ann? Faith Sullivan is one of my favorite authors. (for the most part!) There's a sequel if you liked it. I guess I like the era. Well, I know I do, lol.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I just finished It’s Always the Husband  by Michele Campbell and it was just so-so.  The book seemed disjointed to me with the first and second parts reading like two books and although it was good character building I forgot what the book was about and it became a bit meandering until the end.  I would give it a very weak recommendation but it’s by no means a bad read. 

Now I’m reading The Ex: a Novel by Alafair Burke and I like it so far.  It’s about a Lawyer defending a man  with whom she was involved 20 years ago before he became a celebrated author.  I’m only into the third chapter so jury is still out but so far so good, as they say!

@GenXmuse  I loved The Ex!  I often forget a lot of books that I've read, but I remember this one well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline I liked it very much, and put a request in for the second book, I also liked the fact that MN and some of my stomping grounds were mentioned, and I too like the era that the book was based on, good read!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse

I just looked up The Ex on goodreads, and it sounds interesting. i will add it to my TBR list.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Deadly Fate by Heather Graham, as always Ms. Graham delivered a book, with romance, murder, ghostly connection, and a bit of history about Alaska, I swear toward the end of the book I heard music playing when the cliff hanger was revealed.  Onto another Heather Graham book titled, The night Is Forever, I have only read the Krewe of hunters in her line, but I enjoy her books so much will have to check out others.  I did not read the Krewe of Hunters in order, I just scanned which books were available and requested.