Contributor

Re: ~~WHAT ARE YOU READING? JULY 2018~~

Candlequeen I read The Widow and The Child and I agree  with you.  I won't read any more books by this author.  Hang in there and finish The Child it does have a decent ending but it takes too long to get there. There are too many really good books to be read to spend time with one that doesn't grab you from the start.  CareBears I always wanted to write but I am not talented I do love reading and like you I have to always be in a book feel at odds if I am not in a book.  I think most of us on this forum feel this way.  I hope you like The Outsiders it is a continuation of his triology but can be a stand alone book.  I have read Stephen King since the 60's. Love his writing.  Sonia

Esteemed Contributor

I am reading Murder on Magazine, a Skip Langdon police procedural mystery, by Julie Smith.  This is book 10, and it has been quite a while since a new book has been added.  The setting of these books is in New Orleans.  Skip comes from a wealthy family and seems to be a disappointment to her family since she chose the police academy over their plans for her.  She has made sergeant and has a knack for solving cases.  Julie Smith writes several series based in NOLA and develops interesting characters.  I recommend her different book series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBearsWow, you are so inventive! I think you will go on to write one day. If you don't, you should. But then you will be famous and then after reading F. Backman's letter to us, I wouldn't wish that on you. I am not made that way, either. I would crumble. He must be strong to get this far. Anonymity is my name! I think it would be awful to lose your privacy. But others thrive on it. Where did all this come from. Oh, yes, reading his letter. I am not that bad, but I feel some of the things he does. I wish you well. I'm glad we're friends.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego  (edited because when I posted this I spelled your nic wrong, duh and sorry) --

You were right about the Beartown trilogy.  I'm sure you saw but in case you didn't see the link I posted to Frederik Backman's blog post want you to know you were right and I wasn't. 

This Swedish woman fluent in English posted it on Goodreads in answer to someone else's question, I thought this was a trilogy.  She said yes.and linked to the blog post.  Then I asked her more questions, she's very kind and patient.

Beartown was indeed meant to be a trilogy.  And who knows, may still be sometime.  

She posted the link to his blog.  She knows a lot about him.  She said he writes very fast. 

I posted another question to her and asked why we only have two novellas and he says in his blog he's published three.  She said the third novella is scheduled to be published here sometime in 2019.

Just let him be well.

Honored Contributor

Tangerine, by Christine Mangan.

I enjoyed all of Fiona's books The Widow and The Child, but she can be a bit deep and dark. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline I could never do what Fredrik Backman does, it made me uncomfortable just reading his recent blog post, I get overwhelmed when I have more than 4 emails that I have to answer, I cannot imagine having all those meetings and all those people in my life, let alone getting up to speak to all those people, no way, I would end up in a psychiatric ward, he is very strong whether he realizes it or not!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Judaline I could never do what Fredrik Backman does, it made me uncomfortable just reading his recent blog post, I get overwhelmed when I have more than 4 emails that I have to answer, I cannot imagine having all those meetings and all those people in my life, let alone getting up to speak to all those people, no way, I would end up in a psychiatric ward, he is very strong whether he realizes it or not!

I feel the same way. I get anxious reading a book that I know I can't renew anymore! Just reading his blog made my heart speed up because I knew what he was feeling, even tho I am only 1/8th as bad as he is. But you know what? We're good. We'll be fine.Heart

Honored Contributor

@CareBears @Judaline

Backman's post touched me deeply as well.  Thank goodness for that wife of his, she's amazing, there's a piece of her in every book or several and in Ove it's Parvenah.  (And thank goodness for immigrants, because she is an Iranian immigrant to Sweden.)

His post touched me in deep places as well.  I'm touched by both of you.  I'm sure that's why he asked to be left alone, he's so kind-hearted and wise we'd all want to tell him our stories.  To help him.  To help us.  I can't imagine most of the world loving you/your work.

I used to write.  I wrote a novel when I was eleven.  In junior high I wrote short stories and actually made money off it.  I charged a quarter a story, everyone loved them and I had a whole chart of who had what story out.  They had to pay up front.  I did quite well.  So many people, even ones I didn't know, wanted to read them.

I wrote in college, in classes.  And when it got too real, when it got too close to the dark places, I stopped.  I would from time to time start again but I'm so picky about my sentences that I would spend a day writing three sentences.  And again when I'd get close to my truth I'd feel darker and darker and step away.  As you have, @CareBears.

Honored Contributor

And now for something completely different:

@CareBears, "I Stop Somewhere" sounds so much like "The Lovely Bones."  I love that book.  Except for one scene.  The rest I think is beautifl and the movie was pretty good...Have you read "The Lovely Bones" and are they as similar as they sound?

Esteemed Contributor

I did read it, but do not really remember much about it.