Respected Contributor

Re: ~~WHAT ARE YOU READING? JULY 2018~~

I finished The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths.  Oh My.  She had a lot going on in this book but most of it was about the characters I love.  And then she managed to blindside me (something I don't think she's ever done before).  I can't wait for her next book.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Vulnerable (The Morgans of Nashville #4) by Mary Burton. This wraps up a series that I was reading. I normally obtain about 99% of my books from my library, its a pretty large system  I can usually request and receive most books that I wish to read. This one was not available. I ended up purchasing and downloading to my kindle, and it was well worth the expense.

I am on to Destiny Mine (Tormentor Mine#3) by Anna Zaires. This is a dark romance in the likes of The Fifty Shades Series. This book is not for everyone, but Anna Zaires is is one of my favorite authors for this Genre, and this is her latest release so I have downloaded this to my kindle as well.

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@catlover00 wrote:
@ Judaline, thank you for letting me know about the sequel. I had no idea. I'm 20 pages into THE KITCHEN HOUSE and am already enjoying it.

@Judalineis correct. The sequel was barely half as good as The Kitchen House. If I had the choice, I wouldn't have even read the sequel. Some books should quit while they're ahead.

I agree with this, too.  I thought the sequel was good but in no way held a candle to the first...

Respected Contributor

Just finished Andrea Thome's House of Belonging and now going to read Julia Kelly's The Light Over London.

Super Contributor

Just finished "City Of Endless Night" by Preston/Child.  I usually LOVE their Pendergast books - this one I LIKED.

Just started "The Punishment She Deserves" by Elizabeth George.  It's 690 pages, so I'll be reading this for a while..

After reading your posts, looking forward to getting "The Outsider."  I always enjoy Stephen King books. 

Honored Contributor

I am still trying to finish THE CHILD by Fiona Barton. I have a little over a 100 pages to go, and you don't know how many times I wanted to put the book down. It just didn't grab me......The only reason I am going to finish it is because I want to find out what really happened, and also I believe another reader on this board said the ending was excellent......

I don't think I will read anymore by this author though, because I don't care for her writing.....I read THE WIDOW, as well and it was good, but way too hard for me to get into, just like this one...... 

Contributor

Loved the Outsider by Stephen King.  Also loved the new Elizabeth George.  It is a giant book, but I took my time and savored it.  Main characters are Lindley and Barbara.  They are always my favorites.  My best friend, who I had known all my life got me reading this series.  We would read each new book at the same time and then discuss it.  She passed last year and this is the first new one since she died.  When I finished I told her I knew she was reading it with me and wasn't it wonderful!  My heart still hurts we both loved reading all our lives and whenever I finish a really good book I want to call her.  Miss her so much.  Sonia

Esteemed Contributor

@apple sauce I requested this book The Outsiders yesterday on Cd's because of all the comments here, I know the size of the book, I could not hold it, but listening to it should be fine, long wait though.  You know now that I think about it I have never read a Stephen King book, I have no idea why, but this will be a 1st for me.

I am currently reading I Stop Somewhere by TE Carter and it reminds me of a short story I wrote as a junior in high school.  My story was about 6 high schoolers that took out one of their parents boats and was involved in a fatal crash, all students died.  Their spirits hung around on earth and they watched their friends and families mourn for them, and they were able to see who really cared for them and who was just using them,  for their own personal social status. And then as time went on and their family and friends moved on, I wrote about how the spirits handled their pain of watching this happen.  My creative writing teach gave me a high grade, but wrote, my story was too advancee for a high school level, so he refused to let other students read it, but did pass it around to other teachers, which I guess was a compliment but at the time it felt like I had failed.  Anyway, I stop somewhere is about a girl that is killed in a room in a very violent way, and her spirit remains in that room to have to watch the violence over and over done by the same young men, her spirit does visit her father to see how he is coping, and other areas of the town in which she lived, she felt she was always a nobody and she feel this way in death also, it is good, but very depressing.  I think I would classify it as a young person's book as it deals with high school emotions and that time in a young persons life.  I am only about half way, but having a hard time putting it down, as I believe it reminds me so much of the story I wrote, I want to see how this author plays it out to the finish.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@apple sauce I requested this book The Outsiders yesterday on Cd's because of all the comments here, I know the size of the book, I could not hold it, but listening to it should be fine, long wait though.  You know now that I think about it I have never read a Stephen King book, I have no idea why, but this will be a 1st for me.

I am currently reading I Stop Somewhere by TE Carter and it reminds me of a short story I wrote as a junior in high school.  My story was about 6 high schoolers that took out one of their parents boats and was involved in a fatal crash, all students died.  Their spirits hung around on earth and they watched their friends and families mourn for them, and they were able to see who really cared for them and who was just using them,  for their own personal social status. And then as time went on and their family and friends moved on, I wrote about how the spirits handled their pain of watching this happen.  My creative writing teach gave me a high grade, but wrote, my story was too advancee for a high school level, so he refused to let other students read it, but did pass it around to other teachers, which I guess was a compliment but at the time it felt like I had failed.  Anyway, I stop somewhere is about a girl that is killed in a room in a very violent way, and her spirit remains in that room to have to watch the violence over and over done by the same young men, her spirit does visit her father to see how he is coping, and other areas of the town in which she lived, she felt she was always a nobody and she feel this way in death also, it is good, but very depressing.  I think I would classify it as a young person's book as it deals with high school emotions and that time in a young persons life.  I am only about half way, but having a hard time putting it down, as I believe it reminds me so much of the story I wrote, I want to see how this author plays it out to the finish.

Wow, that's pretty heavy for a HS junior! I hate to think what I was doing back at that time. Well, I did read a lot, but I sure don't think I had been reading anything like you wrote! You are very creative-and imaginative.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline Writing has always been a passion of mine, as I can write about how I feel at the time, where talking about some feelings are hard to put into words when I try to speak them, my very favorite thing I wrote was a children's book about a belt, our teacher gave us an item on a piece of paper we chose at random and I chose belt. I used to read it to my daughter, and she would always ask me to read my story, I wrote about the life of the belt and how it was used in the belt's lifetime, I even illustrated the book.  I was hoping to read it to my grandson but that is not in the cards currently, but praying it will be soon.  I have also dabbled in poetry but mind were always very depressing about death and heartache mostly, it was affecting me too much to continue to write poetry,