Honored Contributor

Re: ~~WHAT ARE YOU READING? JULY 2018~~

[ Edited ]

I just finished News of the World. The only reason I read it was because I love Paulette Jiles' books. Loved it. An aging ex-civil war captain is offered a 50 cent gold piece to transport a girl to her relatives,the trip being from Wichita to San Antonio. Quite a journey. This is no ordinary girl. She was taken by Kiowa Indians when she was six and raised by them and bought back by white people. She is now 12. It's exciting and poignant and everything in between. From what I gather some of it is true, but the two main characters - I don't think so. I fell in love with the little girl by the time it was all over. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished The Outsider and loved, loved, loved...another masterpiece from Stephen King!

Now reading Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh...very good so far!  Have about 100 pages left and expecting a big twist!!!

Next up is The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews...need something light and fun!!!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian. It's been a few years since I have read anything by this author.  He writes well; I feel like I should read some of the titles I have missed out on.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline  I couldn't agree more on News Of The World.  The story was compelling, the characters interesting, and her depiction of the period felt so real.  Your review captured the book perfectly!  I tried to read one of her other books but it didn't grab me the way this one did.

Respected Contributor

I finished Less (Andrew Sean Greer) and felt like I should have liked it more (not less, haha).  It's about a man, Andrew Less, about to turn forty, whose former lover is getting married to someone else and he takes a trip around the world to try to get over it. The writing is actually very good, in spite of how I made fun of it earlier, but I just wasn't into another male midlife crisis.

Respected Contributor

I have several books started on my kindle right now, but they will all have to wait.  I just obtained The Dark Angel (Elly Griffiths).  Her character, Ruth Galloway, is one of my favorites, and I love that she has set this book in Italy for a nice change of location. 

Honored Contributor

Reading the biography/autobiography of David Lynch, "Room to Dream."

Kristine McKenna writes the biographical chapters and David Lynch follows each chapter with his comments on the material, his own recollections, he was just born so I can only guess he'll have a lot to say about a lot. 

There are chapters on his movies, on Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks the Return, his marriages, his artwork, his Buddhism...

...I love David Lynch so much and this book promises to make me very, very happy while I'm between its pages, it's long so I'll be in happy while reading for a long while.

Honored Contributor

It's not the same at all but this reminds me of Mary McCarthy's book "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood."

Her most famous novel is "The Group."

"Memories of a Catholic Girlhood" is her autobiography.  She writes a chapter and then another little chapter after each where she talks about what she's remembered wrong, what didn't happen the way she thought it did, what couldn't have happened that way.  Very interesting and the book is interesting even without that.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Judaline  I couldn't agree more on News Of The World.  The story was compelling, the characters interesting, and her depiction of the period felt so real.  Your review captured the book perfectly!  I tried to read one of her other books but it didn't grab me the way this one did.

Oh, her descriptions were marvelous. I cannot believe how much this author knows. I loved her Enemy Women and Stormy Weather. The latter one is about the dust storms in TX and how they affect a family of 3 girls. Enemy Women was about a Scarlett O'Hara type gal. Loved it. I must add that I was much younger when I read these two-I may not feel the same today, lol. I didn't care for The Color of Lightning and quit that one early on. Anyway, she's good and at the time they were right up my alley. I stand by my praise of News of the World. So informative, too! I mean, who knew there were "readers" in the old West. Not I!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline  it was The Color of Lightning that I tried to read and I couldn't get past the Indian massacre.  Gruesome.  I guess it gets better because the reviews are really good, but I just couldn't go on.  I'm sure it was very realistic.  I will have to look into the other two that you mentioned.  Thanks for letting me know about them.