Honored Contributor

Re: ~~WHAT ARE YOU READING? JULY 2018~~

@CareBears wrote:

I did read it, but do not really remember much about it.

Now I think about it (if only I'd just think all the time!!!) in "The Lovely Bones" Susie doesn't watch her murder over and over.  She watches the agony her family goes through and watches her murderer.  Great book and I've seen the movie more than once and I'm not a movie person.

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.  It is a fast and interesting read. It reminds me of Murder on the Orient Express.

Esteemed Contributor

Finished Somewhere I Stop by  TE Carter, overall I would give it 4 stars, it was a depressing read, but the author ended with a personal note that if you ever feel so down and worthless and always feel like a nobody, there is a purpose for your existence, and there are more people who care and love you than you know, it made my heart swell reading those words.

Next up is The Ex by Alafair Burke, first book I have read by this author, I know this author has been mentioned here a few time, so thought I would give the books some attention, so far it is good.  Does anyone know if the author is a man or woman, I know I can look it up, which I will do, Alafair is a name I have not heard before?

Esteemed Contributor

Alafair Burke is a woman if anyone else was curious.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Alafair Burke is a woman if anyone else was curious.

@CareBears, also the daughter of renowned author James Lee Burke.  Excellent writers!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop I know I am familiar with James Lee Burke but I do not remember reading anything by him, will have to check into him, thanks for the information!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop@CareBears, James Lee Burke is one of my favorite authors.  I have read everything he wrote.  His books are a detective series. The locale is New Orleans.  His novels are atmospheric, gritty and entertaining.  If you haven’t read him, you are in for a treat.  LM

Respected Contributor

I just finished Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier.  It was a first for me from this author.  The cover states, "A gripping page-turner."  The story is easy to get into, and it was well-told.  There were parts that really were "page-turners."  I really liked it and plan to get more from this author as I think I've seen these books posted on here before:  Creep, Freak, The Butcher, and Wonderland.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg I just finished Freak last week,and had read Creep previously thank you for highlighting Jar of Hearts, I do enjoy her books, so I put in a request for this one, again thank you!

Valued Contributor

Just got "Island of the Mad" by Laurie R. King--the latest Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mystery. Must admit this one is much better than the previous ("Murder of Mary Russell")

Mary travels to Venice in search of a friend's missing aunt.  I'll keep you posted on it.