Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

@sunala, thanks for the review of The Rooster Bar.  I have given up on John Grisham for awhile now.  I'll keep waiting.  LM

Valued Contributor

I started Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere yesterday afternoon and will probably finish this evening.  This one is a real page turner.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Snowflakes and coffee cakes by Joanna Demaio just a bit ago, I fell in love with this book, at one point in the book I was so moved it brought me to tears, just a delightful book.

I have moved onto Snow deer and cocoa Cheer also by Joanna Demaio, the third book in her Christmas series, and by far my favorite Christmas stories to date, here is the break down from Amazon:

Jane March's greeting cards have lost their jingle. While worried about her job at New England's Cobblestone Cards, she stumbles upon a forgotten box of her mother's nostalgic paintings. They depict small-town Addison's covered bridge and red barns and picket-fenced colonials. If only Jane's designs could capture the same heart. When her mother shows her how with a Christmas to-do list of memories in the making, Jane gets checking.

Wes Davis has come home again, jilted and a little bitter. His autumn wedding's off, and so is his holiday spirit. Even seeing the rustic wooden deer his father whittles by lantern light doesn't help as he settles back into the shabby Victorian home of his childhood. It is only when Wes encounters the sparkling Jane March on his winding mail route that his cold winter heart begins to thaw.

As the fall months turn wintry, and the season merry, a funny thing happens in this charming Connecticut town: Jane and Wes check off items on that Christmas itinerary, together. But falling in love wasn't included on the list. Or was it?

Snow Deer and Cocoa Cheer is a treasured keepsake, reminding us that like winter's first snow, life brings a beautiful flurry of its own unexpected moments.

Will post my review when finished but this story has already captured my heart!

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012 I put a request in on this one, it is still on order, have you just started reading it, would like to hear your thoughts on i?

Yes I started yesterday and hoped to finish up this am but ran out of time had to get ready for work.  I have two chapters left and did not want to rush through them.  I was reading while biking this morning and yelling at this "idiot man" out loud.   I know I must of looked insane screaming at a book "how can you be so stupid?"  You will really like it and I only just discovered it last Friday while going through all the new releases.  I had not heard of it before.  I will let you know when I finish the last two chapters tomorrow @CareBears

Finished this am and I am glad I did not finish last two chapters yesterday and make myself late for work @CareBears.  No big surprises just the usual windup.  Book was good but not one of my favorites.

Abiding Mercy, by Ruth Reid.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Is anyone else a fan of John Sandford's "Virgil Flowers" novels? I have his latest one Deep Freeze on hold at the library; there are 20 people ahead of me in the queue. I knew he was popular, but this is the longest I've been on hold. If his new book is as good as the others, the waiting will be worth it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Is anyone else a fan of John Sandford's "Virgil Flowers" novels? I have his latest one Deep Freeze on hold at the library; there are 20 people ahead of me in the queue. I knew he was popular, but this is the longest I've been on hold. If his new book is as good as the others, the waiting will be worth it. 

@teganslaw - I read it and it was Very Good!  I thought it was the best Virgil Flowers yet.  Enjoy it when you get it.

Respected Contributor

The Burning Girl  by Claire Messud

Respected Contributor

I am reading The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans.  I was in the mood for another Christmas story and found this book.  It's a sweet story of two single people who work in the same office building and make a "contract" to be a couple over the holidays so they don't have to attend parties, etc. alone.  Don't know how it ends yet but have a feeling it'll be a happy one.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2 I really enjoyed this book The Mistletoe Promise!

Respected Contributor

Attention Psychological Thriller fans;  I just finished the below book.  I really liked it!  This is a first-time author, was curious about the social media aspect as I don’t do Facebook, etc.  It really took off 70% through.   

3A572C2A-667B-4529-9111-02A7707A57D1.jpeg