Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[ Edited ]

Happy 2018.

Finished Beth Gutcheon's The Affliction (GR win) today and it was just ok.  I like her popular fiction better than her mystery.  I haven't read the first one in this series yet.  The title was silly to me since the murdered woman was called that because of her "running of her mouth" or as I've heard it called somewhere "diahrrea of the mouth."  Smiley LOL

Not sure what I'll be reading next though.  Stay tuned.  I'll edit when I do make a decision.

Update:  Received book mail yesterday so reading Murder So Wrong by Ted Clifton, another mystery.

@sunala, feel better soon.  Sounds like you have the flu.

Frequent Contributor

I love this book club. Last Sat. I got 3 books from the library. All the books were recommended from here. 

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (Gail Honeyman). I read it in 2 days & spent day 3 re-reading most of it. Eleanor is a very memorable character.

I now am reading Never Let You Go (Chevy Stevens). The book is very suspenseful. 

My third book is Little Fires Everywhere (Celeste Ng).

It is going to be a great week. Thank you all!

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Cardinal Cabin this morning by Joanne Demaio what a charming story,  set in rural small town in Connecticut are a small number of cabin's all named after birds.  Penny agrees to a challenge with her job as a Travel Agent is to go incognito to Cardinal Cabin and send daily clues as to where her whereabouts are, no one, not even her boss or family know where she is.  I do not want to write much more, but this novel was so descriptive I felt I was part of the town and enjoying the festivities of the town during a holiday season, I really enjoyed this book, and look forward to the other 2 books in the series.

Esteemed Contributor

You know you have read a good when you read the last page.jpg

Respected Contributor

The Mothers
by Brit Bennett

Regular Contributor

I am starting to read The Best Yes by Lisa Terkeurst (Making wise decisions in the midst of endless demands). this came to me recommended by a few ladies who have read the book - each came away with helpful insights.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too many good books, too little time lol!  My list gets longer.  I am praying no more trees come down in the next nor’easter scheduled to hit Thursday.  I have to get reading some of these gems.  A great list in January which should be a wonderful reading month in Nova Scotia.  

Happy New Years to my reading buddies!

LM

Valued Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

You know you have read a good when you read the last page.jpg

This is so true!  When I come to the end of a book I really like, I slow down my reading, because I don't want it to end.

Valued Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Happy New Year!

Read The Last Breath by Kimberly Belle today while others were watching football! Great book. I'll read more by her.

Next up, The Bookshop at Water's End by Patti Callahan Henry, and One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline.

I am reading The Marriage Lie  by Kimberly Belle - and can't wait to read her other books.

Esteemed Contributor

On December 31 I finally finished The Rooster Bar by John Grisham. I'm not saying it wasn't a good book, but it certainly wasn't one of his finest either. It dragged and I found I wasn't that anxious to get back to the book. I gave it 3 stars because it was okay and I did like the characters, but still...it was too long.

I'm now reading The Marrying of Chani Kaufman, by Eve Harris. I'm not far into it yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

I've been sick since the day before New Years eve, with fever, coughing, sore throat etc, so I'm not really into reading as I keep falling asleep. But, I did read today in between naps and going out to the doctor. I'm going back into bed now and will probably fall asleep with the book, but that's a good thing.

Have a great evening!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett