Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

wrote:

I was on vacation last week in Jamaica and loaded up my kindle for beach reading.  This is what I read:

Unbound by Stuart Woods---This was very good.  Yes, there was the usual casual playboy s*x, but there was lots of action and a good plot that featured Teddy Fay.  

The Bird Lovers Mystery Series by JR Ripley--This is a series of cozy mysteries that feature the female owner of a bird feeding and bird watching supply store in North Carolina.  It is not a remarkable series, but I enjoyed them because of the bird related themes.  This is the list in order:

Die, Die Birdie

Towhee Get Your Gun

The Woodpecker Always Pecks Twice

To Kill a Hummingbird

Chickadee Chickadee Bang Bang

How the Finch Stole Christmas

I think the series by Jan Dunlap is much better if you want birding related mysteries.

The Woodpecker Always Pecks Twice?? OMGosh that is so funny. I can't stop laughing.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@LoriLori  lori, I checked my trusty doesthedogdie site and I'm good to go. (to read it).

@Judaline@, that is good to know because @on the bay needs to know that.

Why are catr on the doesthedogdie site?  Why don't they get their own?  Nana, the cat in "The Traveling Cat Chronicles," he would have quite a bit to say about that and it wouldn't be pretty.

This one is for me:  Is there a doesthemandie site?  

Honored Contributor

I love the McCabe and Savage mysteries by James Hayman. So now I'm reading The Girl in the Glass, which is the 3rd or 4th in the series. What happened??? Is this the same author? I'm really not liking it but at least we finally got to the murder, after going back and forth to 1904 and being very bored with ancestral stuff which must have some meaning, and to the present descendants of these people and finally we get to McCabe. I feel like the author is writing something he always wanted to write, but that isn't why I'm reading, James. You misled me. Anyone else read these? (I make it a point never to read a book with "girl" in the title but what are you going to do when the author slips one in on you?)

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@LoriLori  lori, I checked my trusty doesthedogdie site and I'm good to go. (to read it).

@Judaline@, that is good to know because @on the bay needs to know that.

Why are catr on the doesthedogdie site?  Why don't they get their own?  Nana, the cat in "The Traveling Cat Chronicles," he would have quite a bit to say about that and it wouldn't be pretty.

This one is for me:  Is there a doesthemandie site?  

No, but there's a does the horse die on the site. It started out just movies. Then they added books. Now they added horses and cats. I love it. I don't care about a man. A man can take care of himself. Domestic animals, well, it's up to us to take care of them. And if it's gonna hurt my heart to see them die, I avoid it like the plague.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  What we have here is a failure to communicate. The people who do covers probably don't read the book, ergo 'never judge a book by it's cover.' Plus you can't fix stupid.

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005wrote:

I just finished Carnegie's Maid:

I'm a big fan of historical fiction.  Parts were a little draggy, but overall I enjoyed it.

Tonight I will begin:

Cover image for Grist Mill Road : a novel / Christopher J. Yates.

The year is 1982; the setting, an Edenic hamlet some ninety miles north of New York City. There, among the craggy rock cliffs and glacial ponds of timeworn mountains, three friends--Patrick, Matthew, and Hannah--are bound together by a terrible and seemingly senseless crime. Twenty-six years later, in New York City, living lives their younger selves never could have predicted, the three meet again--with even more devastating results.

Of course 3 of my holds came in at the same time, even though I spaced them out.  So if the above does not hold my interest, I've got "The Girls in the Picture" & "The Wife Between Us" sitting on my night table.

Happy reading!

@roeroe1005

I hate when that happens. It's such a balancing act with reserving books from the library.

Honored Contributor

Media Madness by Howard Kurtz.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading Dark of the Moon, by John Sanford. I of course love these types of books and this did not dissappoint.

I am about to start The Map that Leads to you, by J.P. Monninger.

From Goodreads:

A romantic, vivid novel that takes place in the tender time of a young woman’s life: Heather has graduated from college and is traveling around Europe with her two best friends. She’s left school responsibility behind and adult responsibility is looming, but this is her one, one last summer to be free. Heather doesn’t expect to even meet Jack, let alone fall in love with him. Jack is an enigmatic Vermonter a few years older than she is, who is following his grandfather’s journal to various cities around Europe. But in the same way that forces are bringing Jack and Heather together, life and duty are pushing them apart. And Jack has a secret that is going to change absolutely everything

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I just finished reading Dark of the Moon, by John Sanford. I of course love these types of books and this did not dissappoint.

I am about to start The Map that Leads to you, by J.P. Monninger.

From Goodreads:

A romantic, vivid novel that takes place in the tender time of a young woman’s life: Heather has graduated from college and is traveling around Europe with her two best friends. She’s left school responsibility behind and adult responsibility is looming, but this is her one, one last summer to be free. Heather doesn’t expect to even meet Jack, let alone fall in love with him. Jack is an enigmatic Vermonter a few years older than she is, who is following his grandfather’s journal to various cities around Europe. But in the same way that forces are bringing Jack and Heather together, life and duty are pushing them apart. And Jack has a secret that is going to change absolutely everything

I received The Map That Leads To You before it came out in June from the publisher.  It really wasn't my kind of book and the beginning was slow but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Happiness is finding the first book in a series knowsing there are more to follow.jpg