Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[ Edited ]

Happy New Years 2018 to all!!!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one)!

If you like, post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have dedicated Jan. 2018 as the month of cheap romance novels.  I intend to have my fill of the likes of Rosamunde Pilcher and Nicholas Sparks.  Right now I'm on Winter Solstice (Pilcher).  It is a lovely (albeit formulaic) 500 page escape, replete with marvelously strong women, love affairs, life changing/life ending events and coincidences, all set in Scotland and England with, I'm guessing, a "happy ending".

i recently finished Elegy for Iris (John Bayley), a biographical story of a husband's love for his wife, who happens to be Iris Murdoch. The telling of the story goes back and forth in time, as ultimately, she has Alzheimer's; remembrances take on a new meaning.  I find his prose to be nearly as transcendent as hers.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sunala, you are on the ball, getting this posted so promptly!

I got hooked on series last year, so right now I'm on the third book in William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connell's saga (LOVE this author), Purgatory Ridge.

I've returned to books by Miss Read (I read about a dozen a few years back). This time I'm following her Thrush Green tales and having a great time.

I'm finishing up the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series: I treasure those books (and, as I've posted before, the audio versions are even better, permitting that French Canadian accent to come through where needed).

I've been reading a massive biography about Theodore Dreiser for quite a while now, but I've taken it out of my normal shuffle (too complicated to explain) so that his turn comes around more frequently, and I should finish it sometime this winter.

I'm finishing up Tom Jones ((by Henry Fielding), a book club selection for our local classics group.

I'm also reading a biography of Peggy Lee (fascinating) and books by Truman Capote (short stories), Edna O'Brien (I'm trying, but I don't really like her), Alice Munro (whom I adore), among many others.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Little Fires Everywhere - wonderful book - one of the best I've ever read.  I'm going to read the author's first book - really loved her writing style.

And I just started a new bio on Joni Mitchell - Reckless Daughter.  I actually bought it for my hubby for Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am currently reading "The Silent Corner" by Dean R. Koontz. Genre is Fiction/Mystery.

I am struggling with this one. I have been very busy over the last several days and have not really had a chance to dive into this book. I am going to give it a serious go today. If I am still not into it then I will return to the library. Too many other books to read.

Honored Contributor

I just finished reading NEVER LET HER GO, by Chevy Stevens! It was excellent, I loved it......I am now just starting a book that I won on Goodreads called FALSE WITNESS, by Andrew Grant..It is a mystery/thriller! So far, so good! Starts off really good and seems to be an easy read so far......

Respected Contributor

I finished I Found You (Lisa Jewell) and to my surprise, I liked it quite a bit.  The characters were well developed and realistic (most of them) and the story line kept my interest throughout.  I really enjoyed it.   Not sure if this is considered a psychological thriller.  If so, it's better than most, in my opinion.  I was invested in the characters.

I'm still reading The Alice Network (Kate Quinn).  

And I just started 4321 (Paul Auster), all 800 pages of it.  This is one book I will definitely give up if I start getting bored with it.  The premise reminds me of Life After Life (Kate Atkinson), one of my favorite books, and I have a feeling it will not live up to that book for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 I enjoyed I Found You As Well.

I just started on "Cardinal Cabin" by Joanne Demaio, a fairly new author for me, and I enjoy her books, this is a cozy feel good story, I had asked my library to order it and it just recently came in, looking forward to this one, good reviews!

Here is the rundown from Amazon, BTW 251 -  5 star reviews:

Frank Lombardo's never been spontaneous. The closest he's come was accepting a side job chopping firewood for a lakeside community of rustic cabins. But with another lonely holiday season imminent, Frank's sister urges him to be spontaneous because, seriously, who does he ever expect to meet out in the woods?

With a suitcase in hand and a bit of reluctance, too, Penny Hart arrives at Cardinal Cabin on Snowflake Lake. It's only for a brief stay, though nobody knows where she is. Not her boss, not her friends...

Only Frank Lombardo. As the two unexpectedly meet at Addison's hidden hideaway, a spontaneous kiss sets everything amiss. But can the magic of this quaint New England town keep these snowy sweethearts together?

Cardinal Cabin is an enchanting tale about finding love where you least expect it. So come on inside. A cozy fire crackles, lights twinkle on the evergreen tree, snowflakes tap at the windowpanes, and little redbirds bring cheer this time of year.

Esteemed Contributor

Just started  Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben  about 1/3 through.....so far so good!! I prob would call it a mystery

Super Contributor

A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW by Amor Towles and UNDERGROUND RAILROAD by Colson Whitehead. The Book of Daniel (BIBLE)