Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

@beckyb1012 I too am interested to see how you like it, it was not a favorite of mine, but then I put too much emphasis on the small details, I have to learn to just read without picking a book apart, it was definitely intriguing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am starting Dear Fahrenheit 451 Love and heartbreak in the stacks by Annie Spence.

Here is the rundown from Amazon:  

If you love to read, and presumably you do since you’ve picked up this book (!), you know that some books affect you so profoundly they forever change the way you think about the world. Some books, on the other hand, disappoint you so much you want to throw them against the wall. Either way, it’s clear that a book can be your new soul mate or the bad relationship you need to end.

In Dear Fahrenheit 451, librarian Annie Spence has crafted love letters and breakup notes to the iconic and eclectic books she has encountered over the years. From breaking up with The Giving Tree (a dysfunctional relationship book if ever there was one), to her love letter to The Time Traveler’s Wife (a novel less about time travel and more about the life of a marriage, with all of its ups and downs), Spence will make you think of old favorites in a new way. Filled with suggested reading lists, Spence’s take on classic and contemporary books is very much like the best of literature—sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes surprisingly poignant, and filled with universal truths.

A celebration of reading, Dear Fahrenheit 451 is for anyone who loves nothing more than curling up with a good book…and another, and another, and another!

I finished this book this afternoon, it definitely was different, a couple of LOL moments, basically it is written from a librarian who is having to get rid of books that have not been checked out in a long time, and her explanations to the books as to why she feels it is time to let them go, Oh come on, you know your favorite books you cherish, and they feel like an old lost friend, it was a quick read, and she mentioned quite a few books titles if you need to create a Wish List larger than you already have, I know I am up to 18 pages, and it grows each and every day.  There was one section of the book that she lists excuses to use when you have been invited out to socialize, admit it, how many of us would rather spend a day at home reading then socializing?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of all the wins on Goodreads I am happy to report I won a Kindle book this morning, how about that, I am one that never wins anything, so now I cannot say that anymore,!  Keep trying, your just never know when your luck might change!

Respected Contributor

The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille.   I'm 100 pages in and not sure yet.  It's a new character and while he is funny, his quips are already starting to wear thin with me.   Just way too many of them.    But I'll keep reading.  The premise of the book is interesting so we'll see.

Esteemed Contributor

Just like last month, I’m sneaking in at the last minute with my latest “read”.

I just finished listening to “The Widows of Malabar Hill” by Sujata Massey. This is a new series and apparently the author had a previous series that took place in Japan.

In “Widows”, we meet Purveen Mistry, Bombay’s first female lawyer. The time is 1921 and Purveen has just returned from Oxford to work alongside her father in his law firm. Being female keeps her from actually arguing in front of a judge, but does make her uniquely suited to discussing their husband’s estate with three Muslim widows who live in purdah. You see, although the wives live in seclusion, they have all decided to sign over their estate to charity! While things become more mysterious in the widows’ home, we also go back in time to learn more about Purveen’s history.

I think the portions that go back to 1916/1917 are necessary, but also a little jarring the first time it happens. The sequence subsequently makes sense, but it’s not “one chapter current times, one chapter previous, etc.) I also haven’t read much about these religions and/or locales, so it was all interesting to me. The author really painted a picture of Bombay for me! I wouldn’t say the mystery was the best, but it was almost secondary to meeting these characters.

It probably won’t be included on my “favorite books of 2018”, but I do look forward to reading more about Purveen, her charming and intelligent family, and her best friend Alice. Will be keeping my eye out for the sequel!

Now, can somebody please tell me where I can get some ginger lemongrass milk tea?!?!?
Esteemed Contributor

THIS JANUARY THREAD IS CLOSED!  PLEASE POST ON THE NEW FEBRUARY THREAD.

Happy February to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

The Marriage Pact, by Michelle Richmond

hi @beckyb1012  please let us know how you like it?

There's a separate thread on this book but it has spoilers so don't look until you're done!

Thanks for the heads up and I am only allowing myself about 100 pages each morning while bike riding so it will be a couple of days (only have read 220 by today).  I am enjoying, intrigued, and finding it is one of the strangest books I have read.  I want to rush through to find out how all it ends but I do love to savor more.  I will let you know @sunala

Well I finished this am @sunala and @CareBears and it was such a good book.  So happy with ending and kept me guessing about possible endings right to the final pages.  Now I can go read the thread about The Marriage Pact and see others thoughts.  Almost afraid to say yay or nay to a book after reading a few other posts on another thread.  I would hate to spoil any book for anyone so stating this is a really good should be safe enough to report.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."