Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

@kcladyz wrote:

I just finished The Book of Dust  and it was really good!  I just started Year One. My first book by a female author and it is fantastic. I was blown away on the first chapter!

Am I reading you right, @kcladyz?  You have only read male authors up to now?

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Finished "The Dry" by Jane Harper.  I liked it a lot but thought it was perhaps a little overpraised.  Now I'm reading "Fire and Fury."  

@LoriLori  I completely agree with you on The Dry.

I'm so jealous you have Fire and Fury.  I'm #52 on waitlist at my library.    

I could not wait so bought it

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond i just finished this book, I just kept asking myself over and over how could two highly intelligent people ( one being an attorney) sign the Pact, very unreal to me.   I know they wanted an easy way to help guide them at the beginning of their lives together, but not very unbelievable if you ask me.  I very much diisliked that this book brought in horrible punishments for some a first violation?  I did not care for the ending as well, I like books to be tied up with a bow and not left us the readers wondering what the end result is.  It was an intriguing book, but I felt it went on for too long, toward the end I kept finding myself looking to see how much further I had to read?

Onto "The Address by Fiona Davis.

@CareBears

My sentiments exactly. I have this book on my TBR list and I am going to have to re-think if I wish to read. I don't like an open ended question when I finish a book.

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears

I'm just now catching up on posts, and I had to laugh out loud at yours with the huge Amazon truck ("Oh, good, my books are here!").  Yep, that would be me too!  Thanks for sharing the pic!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala I put in a request for, The Wonder, I am currently at #179, I think it might be awhle?

Esteemed Contributor

Too many bookds I think you mean not enough book shelves.jpg

Honored Contributor

Enchantress Of Numbers, by Jennifer Chiaverini;

Hidden Figures, by Margot Lee Shetterly

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

I’ve been entering contests to win books from a Goodreads forever and I've never won one!  Do you write reviews of the books you read?  I only rate mine and I’m wondering if that’s why I never win.

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@sunala I put in a request for, The Wonder, I am currently at #179, I think it might be awhle?

@CareBears- I'd say lol

I finished it this morning, and I must say it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's a short, simple book written for pre-teens, but it certainly does pack a punch. Now I have to see the movie. I'm sure i'll love it as well.

I hope the 179 people ahead of you read quickly!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@SantaFe64gal wrote:

I’ve been entering contests to win books from a Goodreads forever and I've never won one!  Do you write reviews of the books you read?  I only rate mine and I’m wondering if that’s why I never win.

@SantaFe64gal, for what it's worth, me too -- and just yesterday they sent me an invite to enter a giveaway for a book by an author I read.  I googled and read a bunch of things and it seems to come down to, for me, that when I enter I don't put the book on a to-be-read shelf (I don't have one and don't want one) and that I write too many negative reviews.  So I've stopped entering.  Putting the book on a to-be-read shelf seems important.  And then there's also luck LOL.