Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

@BornToShop Just reserved book...sounds good...thanks

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears So glad to know you enjoyed the Joanna Demaio books as I have recently purchased the same three that you just read. They sounded like good books to curl up with on a cold snowy winter's day.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

Deadly Games - Danielle Steele - about 3/4ths through.  I wasn't sure about this at the very start as I don't like books which have things about politics, but this book is so much more than that.  It's basically about a star woman reporter who, along with her friend and photographer, go all over the world capturing the most dangerous situations, their adventures, and also delves into each of their personal lives.  I really am enjoying this story! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@abbaluluThe three book are just magical, her description of Addison, makes me want to pack and leave to this quaint little town,  I have also read 2 of her beach books also, they are good too!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Happy 2018.

Finished Beth Gutcheon's The Affliction (GR win) today and it was just ok.  I like her popular fiction better than her mystery.  I haven't read the first one in this series yet.  The title was silly to me since the murdered woman was called that because of her "running of her mouth" or as I've heard it called somewhere "diahrrea of the mouth."  Smiley LOL

Not sure what I'll be reading next though.  Stay tuned.  I'll edit when I do make a decision.

Update:  Received book mail yesterday so reading Murder So Wrong by Ted Clifton, another mystery.

@sunala, feel better soon.  Sounds like you have the flu.

@SWEET- thanks! I don't think it's the flu. When I saw the doctor, she didn't mention the flu, and I did have the shot. But whatever it is, the cough is hanging on the longest. At least the fever is gone, but I'm on an antibiotic so I'm sure that's taking care of the infection. Stay warm!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Happy 2018.

Finished Beth Gutcheon's The Affliction (GR win) today and it was just ok.  I like her popular fiction better than her mystery.  I haven't read the first one in this series yet.  The title was silly to me since the murdered woman was called that because of her "running of her mouth" or as I've heard it called somewhere "diahrrea of the mouth."  Smiley LOL

Not sure what I'll be reading next though.  Stay tuned.  I'll edit when I do make a decision.

Update:  Received book mail yesterday so reading Murder So Wrong by Ted Clifton, another mystery.

@sunala, feel better soon.  Sounds like you have the flu.

@SWEET- thanks! I don't think it's the flu. When I saw the doctor, she didn't mention the flu, and I did have the shot. But whatever it is, the cough is hanging on the longest. At least the fever is gone, but I'm on an antibiotic so I'm sure that's taking care of the infection. Stay warm!

Whatever it is, hope it goes away fast but sometimes it's not that way.  Feel better and stay warm. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just started Dark rites by Hather graham  here is the run down from Amazon:

A series of bizarre assaults is mystifying Boston police: an unknown attacker is viciously beating random strangers and leaving a note quoting an old warning about witchcraft. History professor Alex Maple was one of the victims, and now he’s gone missing. Vickie Preston is certain that someone has taken her friend for malicious purposes. She’s having blood-drenched visions that seem to be staining her waking life, and the escalating attacks suggest that a dangerous cult is at work behind the scenes—a cult so powerful that its members would rather die than be apprehended.

Vickie is grateful to have Special Agent Griffin Pryce and the FBI’s elite Krewe of Hunters on her side. She and Griffin are finding their way in an increasingly passionate relationship, and Griffin is desperately trying to keep her safe and the two of them sane amid the disturbing investigation. The search for Alex will take them deep into the wilderness of Massachusetts on the trail of a serial killer, and it will take everything they have to survive the ancient evil that awakens and threatens not just the man they’re striving to save but their very souls.

I really like her books besides being a good story Heather Graham uses historial facts in her writing, this story is based in Boston and it gives a brief history of the Salem witch trials, I am only about 1/4 o f the way into it, but enjoying it so far.

Respected Contributor

I finished The Alice Network (Kate Quinn).  I've never been a fan of an author telling two different stories that take place in alternating chapters.  This book is no exception.  The Eve chapters (where she is a WW1 spy in 1914) were very good.  The Charlie chapters (that take place in 1947) seemed contrived to me and basically a way to make the two stories mesh.   Overall, I thought it was just so-so. 

Valued Contributor

Anyone read Year One by Norah Roberts? I got about half way, and skipped ahead to see the ending.  Just didn't do anything for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am halfway through Nelson DeMille ‘s Up Country.  I am about 350 pages in.  It is a slow burn and I am enjoying it.  A little too much detail in some spots but a solid read so far.  Good character development.  LM