Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING IN JULY, 2020?

I finished Hell And Other Destinations by Madeleine Albright.  She's an amazing woman with unbelievable energy. I really enjoyed her anecdotes about all the people she knows (and she knows everyone).  Her writing is witty and thoughtful and her optimism always comes through.  

Honored Contributor

I just finished Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge.  It takes place on the Titanic  in a span of 4 days.  A young American is heading back from London to New York.  This author is well known in the UK and was frequent (as in this book) shortlist for the Booker Prize.  And this book won the Whitbread Prize in 1996.  This one of her last books.

I read her first book "Harriet Said" which was based on the famous New Zealand case of two 15 year old girls killing the mother of one of them in 1959.  One of the girls was the real life author Anne Perry. It was chilling to read.  But very good.

Both books were great.  There is one more of hers I want to read called The Seamstress  Set during WW2 in the London with a Yankee stationed there. A romance grows between himself & a local girl. Her family opposed to them. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Becoming by Michelle Obama. It was an excellent book.

Next up I will be reading Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5) by Linda Castillo.

Honored Contributor

I got an email from a friend thanking me for recommending The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish (she loved it and passed it along to her daughter) ... and asked if I had another recommendation.   

I was flipping through my Kindle to see what I thought she'd like .... Toward the Gleam by T. M. Doran, and the sequel The Lucifer Ego.

After replying to friend's email - I decide to re-read both Doran books.

I'm also reading some Robert Hugh Benson, some John Henry Newman, and just started The Wisdom Pattern:  Order, Chaos, Reorder by Richard Rohr OFM.  It's perfect reading for what we are going through these days.

Valued Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

Today I finished 28 Summers, the newest book by Elin Hilderbrand.  This is another good summer beach read and I recommend it.  

The plot is inspired by Same Time Next Year and the couple involved watches that movie each year as they meet on Nantucket Island for Labor Day weekend.  As you can imagine, a lot happens during those 28 years and yet that weekend stays special for them.  

The author included some political subtext that I thought was not necessary, but it did not make me dislike the book.  

@sandy53 

I'm getting this book from a woman who I'm swapping with.  I can't wait to read it.  I remember the play and movie of Same Time Next Year so I'll probably enjoy it.  I've enjoyed most of her books so far. 

I just finished this book myself, thought it was pretty good.

Valued Contributor

Besides 28 Summers, I have also recently read Ashley Farley's newest Tangled in Ivy (about a woman trying to figure out if she had something to do with her mother's death some 20 years earlier as she has no memory from that time while also dealing with her twin sister). I also read Lies that Bind: Unraveling the Secrets of a Dysfunctional Family (a young woman tries to help her neighbor find her missing daughter), also by Ashley Farley.

Currently reading Murder in the Forest: A Liz Lucas Cozy Mystery by Dianne Harman.

Respected Contributor

I had just finished A Woman of No Importance , a true story about an American female spy mainly in France in WWII.  It was fascinating and started re reading A Year in Provence  when John Bolton's book, The Room Where it Happened, landed in my inbox from the library.  Back to Provence when I finish it.   I just got a hard copy of My 25 Years in Provence and will read it next.   

Honored Contributor

Dance Away With Me, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips;  Recently widowed Midwife now raising a preemie infant that does not belong to her or to who she thought was the husband/father.  Tears, romance and some laughs.

Smoke Screen, by Terry Blackstock.  Only one chapter so far but political husband left her for very young "selfie instagramer,"  so not sure where it is headed other than exwife drinks in her closet.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012  I have Dance Away  With Me on hold at the library!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished A Keeper by Graham Norton, it was OK,  A  woman's mother has passed away and she is back home going through her mothers things to see if she would want anything, when she finds a box of letters at the bottom of her mothers closet, they are letters to her mother from her father, a man she has never met, nor was she told his name, and was told he had died years before.  She decides to visit where her father grew up to find answers to her questions.  This book goes back and forth from the past to now!  It shows how her mother met her father, and the nightmare her mother lived through.  I would like to add the story IMO went full circle!