Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING IN JULY, 2020?

@Judaline wrote:

Now reading Olive Kitteridge Again. What a wonderful book. The author, Elizabeth Strout, is like an American version of Maeve Binchy. Different stories of different characters, but all live in the same town. Sometimes their lives entertwine, but sometimes they don't. I wonder if they will all meet up in the end! Doubtful but you never know.

Didn't read the prequel but saw the PBS version and loved it. 

@Judaline- I just loved the character of Olive Kitteridge from her first book, and I loved this one even more. She stuck in my mind for a long time, and was a definite Five Stars.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The New Husband by D.J. Palmer, OMG this was very very good!  A psychological thriller written to show how sick a person can be with mind games, it dealt with bullying and how some children are left to suffer on their own, due to the behavior of their peers and that all it takes is a small act of kindness, and let us not all be so judgemental of one another and live to understand!

Respected Contributor

FORGIVE ME. Daniel Palmer

THE BOY FROM THE WOODS. Harlan Coben

THIS WAS NOT THE PLAN. Cristina Alger

SCARED TO DEATH. Rachel Amphlett

HAVE YOU SEEN ME. Kate White

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

To other readers, this is a spoiler about Saint X.  Please don't read it unless you have already read the book which, by the way, I recommend.  LM

@smoky22 

Spoiler
it took me a minute to figure out how to do a Spoiler post.

The ending kind or irked me because you have an event that was a game changer in many peoples' lives with the untimely death of the daughter.  Finding out at the end of it all that it was not murder but accidental just totally ticked me off.  I was like 'Whaaaat?'  

I guess I was looking for some kind of redemption or closure especially for Clive whose life was always at the margins.  Nothing ever worked for him. He really had a tough life.

Anyway, this author was thought provoking.  I will certainly read her again.  LM

@Lilysmom  I know what you meant now by the surprise.  That part to me was a little unexpected but made the story more powerful.  The surprise to me was how the book ended with Clive and the sister.  But after thinking about it, that made sense to me too.  As I said, a tragedy all around.  And I agree with you, I found it thought provoking.

Respected Contributor

I read Breaking Wild by Diane Les Becquets.  It's a split narrative between a woman lost in the Colorado wilderness and the woman ranger who is part of the search and rescue team that sets out to find her.  You learn a lot about the backstory of both women as the narrative goes back and forth.  It has a lot of great reviews, but I wasn't that into it.  3 stars.

Respected Contributor

Today I finished Someone is Watching by Joy Fielding.  Bailey Carpenter is a private investigator for a Miami law firm.  One night while doing surveillance she is brutally attacked.  It turns her life upside down.  This book is very suspenseful and I had no clue who the attacker was until the very end.  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to I Was Told It Would Get Easier by Abbi Waxman.  Was nice to "read" something a little lighter.  Some things may have made me go "hmmmm", but I did enjoy it.  I don't have any children, but totally recognized some of the fights between the mother and daughter from stories my coworker tells me she has with her teenage daughters.  I'm listening to Mexican Gothic next and hope it holds up to the hype.

I've been keeping my mother busy with books over the last few months.  Some I've read and some have come from other sources.  She never used to read, but she's really enjoyed everything I've brought her so far!  I just can't wait for the library to open, but the extra expense is worth it if it makes her happy.

The School of Essential Ingrediants by Erica Bauermeister

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

To Kill a Mockingbird (I had it in the house so didn't need to buy it for her)

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Memoirs of a Geisha  by Arthur Golden

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I just dropped off

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

and

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

In many cases, I just remember really liking the book (or thinking I did) and not really remembering what the book was actually about!  I've just been trying to get her really well written novels - that hopefully don't have a lot of sex or swearing (!)  I probably should have read the summary for some of these.  BUT, she has really liked everything I've given her and had already started reading Guernsey while I was visiting her today.

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw , after some time has passed, and you can reflect on events with a bit more distance, it was my feeling that Alzheimers is probably harder on the family than it is on the person who has the disease.  At least most times I think that.  My sister was a person very engaged in her community, a Town Councillor, a mother, a sister, a fund raiser, etc.  We were very fortunate that she was in a very good facility for the last year of her life.  She was safe and well cared for there.  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I finished Dance Away with Me, the newest book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  This book has some flaws, but I enjoyed it and recommend it. 

The plot of this contemporary romance involves a midwife who is grieving the sudden loss of her husband.  She moves to a remote cabin where she meets (in a very bizarre way)  a pregnant woman whose baby she later delivers.  Tragedy occurs and the rest of the books is about dealing with the aftermath of that tragedy.  This is a very simplified summary so I don't give away anything.  

As someone who used to teach s*x education, I laughed out loud at the conversations the main character had with local teenagers who came to her with questions.  Her no-nonsense answers were clever.  

It won't make my favorite book list, but it was a good summer read.  I recommend other older books by this author, too.  Many are lighter and more humorous than this one.  

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished listening to I Was Told It Would Get Easier by Abbi Waxman.  Was nice to "read" something a little lighter.  Some things may have made me go "hmmmm", but I did enjoy it.  I don't have any children, but totally recognized some of the fights between the mother and daughter from stories my coworker tells me she has with her teenage daughters.  I'm listening to Mexican Gothic next and hope it holds up to the hype.

I've been keeping my mother busy with books over the last few months.  Some I've read and some have come from other sources.  She never used to read, but she's really enjoyed everything I've brought her so far!  I just can't wait for the library to open, but the extra expense is worth it if it makes her happy.

The School of Essential Ingrediants by Erica Bauermeister

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

To Kill a Mockingbird (I had it in the house so didn't need to buy it for her)

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Memoirs of a Geisha  by Arthur Golden

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I just dropped off

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

and

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

In many cases, I just remember really liking the book (or thinking I did) and not really remembering what the book was actually about!  I've just been trying to get her really well written novels - that hopefully don't have a lot of sex or swearing (!)  I probably should have read the summary for some of these.  BUT, she has really liked everything I've given her and had already started reading Guernsey while I was visiting her today.

I gave my mother The Shell Seekers and she loved it so much she asked me to find it in a hardcover to keep.