Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING IN JULY, 2020?

@icezeus wrote:

I finished Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5) by Linda Castillo.

I really enjoy this series. 

Next up is A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight. This was recommended by a handful of people on our book thread,  I will see if I like it or not. 

@icezeus 

I read A Good Marriage.  It was good but not as good as her first one -- Reconstructing Amelia.  Enjoy and let me know what you think of it.

Honored Contributor

Girls Of Summer, by Nancy Thayer;  As always a great beach read.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Alter Ego   interesting review on Mexican Gothic.  I have it on waitlist and expected to really like it.  Now I'm not so sure.  I enjoyed her earlier book, Gods of Jade and Shadow.  It was more into fantasy, which is not my usual genre, but the story was captivating.  I was hoping for the same with Mexican Gothic.  

It gets good reviews and, frankly, the narrator wasn't very compelling, which could have effected my review.  Also, like I said, I don't read "horror", so maybe my review wasn't fair in that respect either.  I just really had high expectations that weren't met. I did finish and thought the premise was interesting. Maybe it too is fantasy, but more fantasy horror?  

The action doesn't really ramp up until the end. May feel like not a lot happens until the last 1/3 or 1/4.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished A Beach Wish by Shelley Noble, I had expected a nice relaxing beach book so that I could lose myself in the waves and sunsets.  This book actually was anything but!  It had thought provoking life choices , family, forgiveness, and letting go of past decisions that altered your life for the future!  I enjoyed it!

Contributor

I waited forever to read LIttle Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng, and I was so excited when it was finallay available at my library. However, I was disappointed in it. Most recently, I read All the Missing Girls, by Megan Miranda. If you like a good suspense novel, read it! It was very well crafted and quite a page turner.

Regular Contributor

@sunala - I've loved every single one of Emily Giffin's books!  You can now look forward to reading some of her earlier ones, if you haven't done so already.  

Regular Contributor

@Dragonfly416- I also loved All the Missing Girls.  While I enjoyed Little Fires Everywhere, I thought Celeste Ng's earlier (first) novel, Everything I Never Told You, was far superior.  It is a beautifully crafted mystery with one of the most satisfying endings in a book, ever!  I bet you would be surprised what a great book it is.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joviolin wrote:

@sunala - I've loved every single one of Emily Giffin's books!  You can now look forward to reading some of her earlier ones, if you haven't done so already.  

@joviolin  - I checked my list, and I read Heart of the Matter in 2010. I don't remember it, but since it was over 10 years ago, I can understand why! I do have a few of her books on my TBR list, so I will probably check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joviolin  I thought maybe I'd see the movie (Everything I Never Told You) but Netflix doesn't have it. I watched the trailer-didn't look like a movie. It looked like one of those detective shows. But they call it a movie. It sure isn't available-2018. A mystery in itself.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, that was fast.  I dumped The Island House by Nancy Thayer after 50 pages.  Maybe I'm growing out of her books or what.  I've read so many of them. They are always set in Nantucket like Elin Hilderbrand's. 

Onto The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott, a totally different read for me.