Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING IN JULY, 2020?

Just finished No Rules by Sharon Dukett (nf) about a girl who leaves home at 16 in the 1970s to get away from her parents and hitchhikes everywhere looking for places to live and sleep.  She meets a lot of people along the way, lives in youth hostels, the woods, takes drugs, hooks up with men etc etc.  A very eye-opening, wild trip book.  It made me dizzy with all the places she went to and lived and then eventually on a commune. 

Onto The Dutch House by Ann Patchett which I've been wanting to read for a while.

Esteemed Contributor

I did something I rarely do.  I PTB on The Vanishing (sorry can't find the author as I deleted it and can't find on goodreads either😩) with 90 pages left to read.  It was recommended here I believe.  It wasn't particularly good so I thought I just just let it go.  It was about people with paranormal abilities.

Now on to The Red Lotus (Chris Bohjalian).  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

Finding Mrs. Ford: A Novel

In my opinion, Mrs. Royce's first novel, "Finding Mrs. Ford", is very good. The characters are wonderfully drawn, the plot twists compelling and unpredictable-you won't be able to put it down. The outcome took me by surprise.  I hope Mrs. Royce will write another novel soon.

@alliswell- I loved this book so much! I'm pretty sure I read it last year, and I couldn't go to sleep until I finished reading it. I will check to see if she's written any more books, as I'd love to read another one them.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Lately I've been having problems getting into books I know I should be enjoying. However, I finally found one that's got me totally hooked. I'm halfway through Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld, and I can't stop reading. The concept is a fictionalized account of Hillary's life, and how she dated and fell in love with Bill but broke up with him because he was a womanizer. It's now 20 years later and it's just so interesting. I'm loving it!!!!

@sunala

I really want to read this one.  I've enjoyed her others too if you havent' read any.  This book had me intrigued the minute I saw the title. 

@SWEET- I read An American Wife and loved it. I'm enjoying this one just as much. I haven't read any others although my friend loved Prep. I hope she writes another first lady novel. They're really great!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I think for this winter, I'll be reading some Hilary Mantel books, about past royalty.  Wolf Hall is one of 3 so, I'm making my list. 

I'm lining up some puzzles for this winter too.  Guess I'll hunker down then. I hate that word too, "hunker!".  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Lately I've been having problems getting into books I know I should be enjoying. However, I finally found one that's got me totally hooked. I'm halfway through Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld, and I can't stop reading. The concept is a fictionalized account of Hillary's life, and how she dated and fell in love with Bill but broke up with him because he was a womanizer. It's now 20 years later and it's just so interesting. I'm loving it!!!!

@sunala

I really want to read this one.  I've enjoyed her others too if you havent' read any.  This book had me intrigued the minute I saw the title. 

@SWEET- I read An American Wife and loved it. I'm enjoying this one just as much. I haven't read any others although my friend loved Prep. I hope she writes another first lady novel. They're really great!

@sunala 

I've read American Wife, The Man Of My Dreams, and Sisterland.  Still need to read Rodham and Eligible by her.

Respected Contributor

Last night I finished Have You Seen Me by Kate White.  This book is so suspenseful.  My mind kept trying to put the pieces together not knowing which characters could be a suspect in what happened to Ally Linden that explains the 2 days she has no memory of..  The ending was a total shock.  I highly recommend this book.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2  I jst started this book this afternoon, from what I have read so far I knew I was going to be in for a good book!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading Never Have I Ever. Interesting characters, death, blackmail, Hard to put it down today! 

Esteemed Contributor

I had two books on hold at the library, so I called and made my appointment for curbside pickup. Our virus numbers are climbing, so I am paranoid that they may shut down our libraries again.  I currently have five books at home. Luckily, I do not have to read them all in two weeks. Most of the books that I read generally have plenty of renewals available.