Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING IN JULY, 2020?

@Judaline Thank you for the suggestion - will add it to the running list I have for her!

Valued Contributor

I am reading The Master's Apprentice  by Oliver Potzch.

In the past I have enjoyed his Hangman's Daughter series, but I am having a hard time getting into this book.

Our book club read The Giver of Stars,which everyone enjoyed.

Next month's title is The Scent Collector by Natalie Reid.

Regular Contributor

Sugar Pine Trail by Raeanne Thayne

Hello Summer by Mary Kay Andrews...this book really held my attention.  A reporter gets a plum job on a paper in D.C..  After giving up her job, house, and boyfriend, she discovers at her going away party that the new paper folded  Thus she returns home and is forced to work at her family's small town paper much to her chagrin uuntil she discovers the death of their local congressman.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Lavender Blue Murder by Laura Childs. I enjoyed this book.  A lot of this story takes place in a teashop, and the author did a wonderful job, of making the reader feel they were in the teashop drinking flavorful tea and eating the delectable food that is served, I was getting hungry.  But of course there was a murder right at the start of the story, and there the story goes from bad to worse!  The main character is such a colorful character, you will have no problem embracing her like a lost friend!  Charleston is described so beautifully you will put it on your bucket list!  As you can see I found this book worth reading, and spending the afternoon engaging myself into this story!

Trusted Contributor

I read The Wedding Party by Jasmine Guillory. It was okay. Too much how does he/she really feel about me for my taste. Maybe it's targeted for a younger audience-I'm so past that stage in life.

I also read The Boy From The Woods by Harlan Coben. He always writes a good book that keeps my interest and I liked this one. However, both myself and my husband read it, and we both thought it was an odd ending-a bit out of character for the protagonist.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first book of July is in the books.  No pun intended.  LOL.

Finished Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner and gave it 4 stars on GR.  It was totally different from not only Mrs. Everything and her others though it was more like her style of chick lit.

Up next is The Wedding Dress by Danielle Steel.  I need to read more ebooks on my Ipad so my rating will go up on NetGalley for more approvals.  Plus, I haven't read one of her books in ages. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton (1 Star)

Untamed by Glennon Doyle (DNF)

I cannot recommend her books; although some high comments have been made for her writing, blogs and social media.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Lavender Blue Murder by Laura Childs. I enjoyed this book.  A lot of this story takes place in a teashop, and the author did a wonderful job, of making the reader feel they were in the teashop drinking flavorful tea and eating the delectable food that is served, I was getting hungry.  But of course there was a murder right at the start of the story, and there the story goes from bad to worse!  The main character is such a colorful character, you will have no problem embracing her like a lost friend!  Charleston is described so beautifully you will put it on your bucket list!  As you can see I found this book worth reading, and spending the afternoon engaging myself into this story!

@CareBears   Love the Laura Childs books especially the tea shop ones. You are right about the great sounding tea and delicious food. She describes it so vividly.

Respected Contributor

I finished A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler.  It's a compelling read that I couldn't put down.  It does have an element of just checking off all the right boxes.  And maybe for the same reason @Lilysmom was disappointed in the end of Saint X, I was disappointed in the end of this book.  I'm still going to recommend it, though, for all the issues it raises.   

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler.  It's a compelling read that I couldn't put down.  It does have an element of just checking off all the right boxes.  And maybe for the same reason @Lilysmom was disappointed in the end of Saint X, I was disappointed in the end of this book.  I'm still going to recommend it, though, for all the issues it raises.   

@smoky22 , looks like we're on a roll...on the list!  LM