Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2020

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (2.75 Stars)

Way too many characters in this novel which are unnecessary for the storyline. The author's writing tends to become disjointed in the last third of the book. Patchett's later work is a huge improvement to this earlier work. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Christmas Spirits On Tradd Street by Karen White, I do not know why I enjoy books with spirits in them but I do!  This had Charleston charm, with history thrown in, with the help of spirits solving an age old crime, I liked this book very much!

That is a series of books @CareBears so if you like it there are about 4 or more before that with the spirits and Melanie even before marriage and motherhood.  Love them all!!

Reading now:

Cartier's Hope, by M.J. Rose;

Christmas Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Murder on Fleet Street, a Ginger Gold mystery, by Lee Strauss.  Good book, which I believe will be the last of this series.  A new series starts in March.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Just finished UNRAVELING OLIVER, it was really good......I think I will  finish reading Tick Tock, and also start The Ex Wife....... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been trying to read The king of Plagues by Jonathan Mayberry since the end of January. It's the third book in the series which features Joe Ledger. I have been very busy but I am only 141 pages into this book and I am not that busy. (smile)  I am just not into this third installment, so it's time to close this book and return it to the library. 

I am going to start Grist Mill Road by Christopher Yates. 

Respected Contributor

Today I finished Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins.  A story about returning to your hometown to heal from some terrible physical and emotional injuries.  This book was really good.  I had tears in my eyes a few times and laughed out loud a few times. 

Respected Contributor

MR. NOBODY  Catherine Steadman

HER SILENT CRY  Lisa Regan

COLD HEART  Lisa Regan

LITTLE FACE  Sophie Hannah

BIG LIES IN A SMALL TOWN  Diane Chamberlain

THE MUSEUM OF DESIRE  Jonathan Kellerman

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

MR. NOBODY  Catherine Steadman

HER SILENT CRY  Lisa Regan

COLD HEART  Lisa Regan

LITTLE FACE  Sophie Hannah

BIG LIES IN A SMALL TOWN  Diane Chamberlain

THE MUSEUM OF DESIRE  Jonathan Kellerman

@Janey2  I think your post means that you are reading these books now.  When you finish, I'd really be interested in your opinion of Mr. Nobody and Big Lies in a Small Town.  Thanks.  

Respected Contributor

@smoky22  I list the books that I have read since the last time I listed books(January). Mr. Nobody started out good. It kept my interest. Towards the last quarter of the book it took a turn and thought it let me down. I would tell you to try it. I did not feel it was a waste of my time, just a book that was fair. Maybe 3.5 stars. 

Big Lies was better. The writing was good. The story was interesting. The trouble with it was that I basically knew where the story was going about 1/3 of the way into it. I do not want to say what I thought was wrong with it so as not to ruin it for you, if you choose to read it.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Blue Moon by Lee Child, lots of action, but tons of violence if your offended by that this is not the book for you!  For me it was a fast read, and I enjoyed it!