Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2020

[ Edited ]

I read A Long Petal of the Sea (Isabel Allende) and thought it was really good.  I wasn't sure I liked the book at first but it got better, and the 2nd half was definitely more interesting.   It starts with the main couple fleeing the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's and ending up in Chile, where they are forced to leave again in the 1970's because of a government takeover (helped along by the United States).  Allende has created interesting characters to tell her story of refugees and how they are often placed in camps (some of them quite cruel) because they aren't welcome in the new country.  There was much I learned in this book that I didn't know, and I highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego  so happy your mother enjoyed The Traveling Cat Chronicles!  Every time I see its name I smile. 

You didn't ask but:

If it turns out she liked Ove maybe Things My Son Needs to Know About the World?  and then on to Britt-Marie Was Here?  (all basically happy)

Maybe cozies that are about her interests?  Amazies me there's a cozy series for everyone.  Saw someone is reading a cozy series about knitting recently, here or on GR.

The Day the World Came to Town?  no triggers, such a wonderful story  

my mom is a piece of cake (only about books LOL), give her a serial killer and she's happy. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Just finished Recipe for a Perfect Wife by Karma Brown. 

Contributor

I have been on a reading binge this week!  

Good Girls Lie by JT Ellison

Daisy Jones and the Six (FINALLY!) by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia

I enjoyed all four of these... extremely different types of reads but all well done.  It's unusual for me to be able to choose AND engage in a new book, but all of them pulled me in and officially ended my book drought.  Now to decide on the next one...

Honored Contributor

Will probably read all four books in a mystery series written by Mette Ivie Harrison. The first one, called THE BISHOP'S WIFE is loosely based on a true story of a woman who goes missing. Her husband said she left him, but her parents are sure he killed her. As I read things about Morman beliefs, I sometimes stop and Google for more information. For example, their view of Eve is quite different from how she is viewed in Protestantism and Catholicism.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 , I had A Long Petal of the Sea from the library but didn't get a chance to finish it.  I will order again.  Thanks for this review.

I was a bit under the weather yesterday so took a down day and picked up The Stand which I had only read a couple of hundred pages before.  I remember @LoriLori 's comment when I asked when they were going to stop dying.  She said 'This is Stephen King, they don't stop dying' lol.

I am now on page 300 and something and I am glad I picked it up again.  Not exactly the kind of reading you want when you think you have the flu and there is world wide concern about coronavirus.  I think I am on to the next stage of the book.  LM

Valued Contributor

Started American Dirt yesterday. It is moving quickly thus far. Also, I loved PBS'S Vienna Blood series.  I found several Max Lieberman Mystery ebooks on Amazon. I'll be reading one of those next.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Alter Ego  so happy your mother enjoyed The Traveling Cat Chronicles!  Every time I see its name I smile. 

You didn't ask but:

If it turns out she liked Ove maybe Things My Son Needs to Know About the World?  and then on to Britt-Marie Was Here?  (all basically happy)

Maybe cozies that are about her interests?  Amazies me there's a cozy series for everyone.  Saw someone is reading a cozy series about knitting recently, here or on GR.

The Day the World Came to Town?  no triggers, such a wonderful story  

my mom is a piece of cake (only about books LOL), give her a serial killer and she's happy. Smiley Happy

I really enjoyed that, too, lori.

Honored Contributor

@Starlagirl wrote:

I have been on a reading binge this week!  

Good Girls Lie by JT Ellison

Daisy Jones and the Six (FINALLY!) by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia

I enjoyed all four of these... extremely different types of reads but all well done.  It's unusual for me to be able to choose AND engage in a new book, but all of them pulled me in and officially ended my book drought.  Now to decide on the next one...

Daisy Jones and the Six was my all time favorite book for 2019.  Read Taylor's other books if you have not yet @Starlagirl Started following her on Twitter such a good writer.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@smoky22 , I had A Long Petal of the Sea from the library but didn't get a chance to finish it.  I will order again.  Thanks for this review.

I was a bit under the weather yesterday so took a down day and picked up The Stand which I had only read a couple of hundred pages before.  I remember @LoriLori 's comment when I asked when they were going to stop dying.  She said 'This is Stephen King, they don't stop dying' lol.

I am now on page 300 and something and I am glad I picked it up again.  Not exactly the kind of reading you want when you think you have the flu and there is world wide concern about coronavirus.  I think I am on to the next stage of the book.  LM

@Lilysmom  I was just thinking yesterday that I was glad that I wasn't reading The Stand for the first time right now. Perhaps it wouldn't have ended up being one of my favorite books. It sure is a long one!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

To go a bit OT, saw the final pictures of your quilt, and as I stated before I love the butterfly theme. Between quilting and gardening you are very talented and I always enjoy when you post pictures.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx