Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2020

Thanks, @Janey2   That was very helpful!

Respected Contributor

I read Nothing To See Here by Kevin Wilson.  You would think a quirky book about two kids who spontaneously combust when agitated would be more original.  If a book is going to have an outrageous premise, it should be more fun.  Except for the spontaneous combustion thing, it's a pretty conventional story about neglected kids and self absorbed parents and the person they hire to look after them.  All the characters felt flat. Other reviewers have already said it, nothing to see here.    

Honored Contributor

For people who like history and/or Boston this book comes out next week so probably not too soon to reserve it:

The Boston Massacre:  A Family Story by Serena Zabin

It's terrific!  It's ironic because I just read a novel that was dry as the desert, now I'm reading nonfiction that moves briskly and she really brings people to life. 

Who knew women were in the army on both sides of the Revolutionary War? (maybe some of you, not me).

And that what would become "both sides," all Irish and English soldiers posted to Boston,were pretty much one big happy family (but not a utopia, what she's describing is real people leading real lives) --

-- lived together on the same blocks or in the barracks, had dinners together, hung out, were friends, the men got drunk together, the women sat and yakked with their babies crawling around, it was totally a community --

-- until the split.  Which tore the friendships apart.  The ones who wanted independence vs. the Redcoats who wanted to continue to be part of the British Empire.  She doesn't write about anything contemporary but sometimes it reminds me of what I've heard happens now except way more intense.  Thankfully we're not at war with one another directly shooting at our former besties.with whom we disagree --

It all happened and it's so fun to read.  And I'm learning so much about yeah, the Boston Massacre and how it fit into the Revolutionary War and she makes it delightful.  (I'm skipping the end notes.  I'm not reading it for scholarship LOL.)

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the good wishes.  Still sick. 

Jud, will try that when I catch up on my late reviews and stuff.  Would be lovely to see a post from OT again.

So I'm officially a book hoarder.  I have over 100 books here now waiting to be read.  I say I won't take review books and luckily I haven't seen anything I want lately because I want to read all these great books, many of which I paid for in hardcover which are now out in paperback, duh!

I have books stashed everywhere.  I'm thinking it's a bit of a sickness.  Beats the heck out of colds and flu and surgery, though Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Frederik Backman (or as many of you know him, My Secret Husband, and did I give him that name or someone here? LOL) has a book coming out in September.

It's called Anxious People.  It's a return to for lack of a better word comedy again.  Which is impressive because it's based on an episode in "Things My Son Needs to Know About the World" (a book so dear to my heart, but all of his are) that isn't funny.

Honored Contributor

(sorry to post so much at a time but I just don't get here enough)

Where's Flavia?  He said there's going to be #11.  I realized the other day that this is the first January in a long time we haven't had a new Flavia.  Boo! 

Won't post spoilers in case people are starting at the beginning of this super fun cozy series but so looking forward to more story about her latest...Thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori , I need to start on a hoard of books or at least a pile to work on.  I am finding that my requests are coming in all at the same time at the library and I am returning them before I have a chance to read them all.  Seems like  I am playing catch up all the time.

The last example is The Stand.  A thousand page book.  This is the second time I have started this and I know I won't finish it so I should just cave and buy it.  I think I need a few hours at a bricks and mortar bookstore to create a good pile. 

Thanks for the reviews, always entertaining.

@smoky22 , I loved the description 'like a train wreck, you can't look away'.  I have read a few books like that and I know the feeling!

@sunala , thanks again for keeping us going every month.  If I ever got marooned on a desert island, if I could have our forum and an endless access to books, I would be good!  LM

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  snow saysgirly hi emoticon  And so do I. And I sure hope you feel better. Soon.

Respected Contributor

Couldn't finish One Hundred Suns by Karin Tanabe.  I wanted to like it.  I gave it 1/2 the book (174 pages) and that was too long to give it. 

Onto You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks.

Contributor

I am in the middle of a nonfiction book about Queen Elizabeth's life.  Written in 2012, it has made me admire the Queen even more.  "Elizabeth the Queen, The Life Of a Modern Monarch". By Sally Bedell Smith.