Honored Contributor

Re: ~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

@CareBears, thanks, I still have it so I can look it up, the person I'm giving it to is backed up with books too LOL so I'll hang on to it and look it up...now when I sign off!... I try to find the right homes for my books and if I'm not keeping it (I keep too many!!!) and can't find the right home I donate it to our library.

Valued Contributor

Hubener vs Hitler: 

From Nazi Germany comes one of the most intriguing true tales of the 20th century: a group of teen-age Germans who waged a war of their own against Adolf Hitler.

Nobel Laureate author Günther Grass said Hübener's life should be held up as a role model to every teen in the world.

Master biographer Richard Lloyd Dewey recounts the compelling true story of Helmuth Hübener - the bold and brilliant teenager who formed the youngest resistance group to face the Nazis.

He details how young Hübener recruited others, how his group eluded the SS, and how they played cat and mouse with the Gestapo.

This is a mesmerizing story of the entire group and presents the most comprehensive account ever of this astonishingly brave trio of young Latter-day Saints.</>

"What the Hubener group did . . . is simply inconceivable. Only someone who himself was active in the resistance movement can grasp what it means." -- Franz Ahrens, Noted German RESISTANCE FIGHTER and author

These brave young men were also members of the same church I belong to - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

Honored Contributor

@mare54  I really think I would like this, thnx!

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:
@LoriLori  If you like smart aleck cats, you should read the Laura Levine mysteries. The heroine, Jaine Austen, has a cat named Prozac.  Jaine is a riot herself, but Prozac adds a lot (under his breath). There's always a murder, but hilarity ensues.

@Judaline

@LoriLori

Laura Levine posted here for a while, several years ago. I became friends with her and we shared many emails about writing and our mutual love of reading. She's a lovely lady and I got so hooked on her Jaine Austen books. Prozac was a real pi$$er!!

I've been reading Laura Levine's books for years, and they are such funny cozy mysteries. Her next book is coming out in September, called "DEATH OF A NEIGHBORHOOD SCROOGE"  And, for those who don't know, she was the writer on the advertising campaign that came up with the idea for Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Boo Berry cereals.  I always think of her when I see those cereals in the market every fall.  What a huge success that was!

Trusted Contributor

candlequeen,

I read the first 2 chapters.  I'll have to try it again at a later date.  thanks for the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading Best Intentions by Erika Raskin. It started off slow and I was thinking of pulling the bookmark, but it got really good. Now I keep feeling the pull to get back to it. Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I'm reading Best Intentions by Erika Raskin. It started off slow and I was thinking of pulling the bookmark, but it got really good. Now I keep feeling the pull to get back to it. Happy reading!

@sunala, love when that happens!  LM

Valued Contributor

I finished The Girls in the Picture, nothing to recommend IMO.

I did learn a little about the difficult transition from silent movies to talkies for the actors. When I read how Mary Pickford continued playing younger roles (teenagers) when she was in her 30"s, I couldn't erase the image of Bette Davies as Baby Jane from my mind!!!!

I will begin Carnegie's Maid by Marie Benedict next.

I live in a small community in SW PA, where coal and the coal barons ruled; so I am most interested to see what effect this maid had on Andrew Carnegie.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@sunala, love when that happens!  LM

@Lilysmom- me too. It's just that we have to persevere until we get to the good parts (if we do). I'm glad I stuck it out!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I finished the WOMAN IN THE WINDOW ,by A J Finn, it was an interesting book, it was slow the first part of the book, as many of you said. I did figure out things on one hand.On the other I was disappointed in a little in the book. Good writing, great description of guzzling booze and pills and sarcasm. Overall a four star book.