Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori I put the Force of Nature on hold also, I am number 18, it sounds good!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  If you like smart aleck cats, you should read the Laura Levine mysteries. The heroine, Jaine Austen, has a cat named Prozac.  Jaine is a riot herself, but Prozac adds a lot (under his breath). There's always a murder, but hilarity ensues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i used to read on the train to and from work and wouild finish a book every week to 2 weeks. Now that I don't do that, it is harder and harder for me to actually be at home and read. So of course I take your suggestions and am slow to the party. 

I just finished THE MARRIAGE LIE by Kimberly Belle which was discussed in Dec. It was a fast moving book which I appreciated.

Now based on @LoriLori @CareBears  @smoky22 - I will have The Dry by Jane Harper on my list - pls read my review sometime in 2018 lol

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I just finished "The Dry by Jan Harper", I had never even heard of this book until I believe @LoriLori gave a review on it I believe a couple of months ago, I enjoyed it!

@CareBears, thanks but I read about it here too.  IIRC it was @smoky22 and @dawglover but I could be wrong and if I am wrong, I am so, so sorry to whoever introduced this book to us which so many subsequently read.

ETA:   Jane Harper's new book, "Force of Nature," which features the same detective and is referred to as Aaron Falk series #2, is already available at Book Depository UK and will be available here on Tuesday.  

@LoriLori - Nope, it wasn't me either!

I am so mad at my library.  Two books I am dying to read, the new Flavia one and J.D. Robb's new "DARK IN DEATH" have been in "Being Cataloged" status for a week now.  Hurry Up!!!  I want to charge through those "Staff Only" doors and grab my books!

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@LoriLori I put the Force of Nature on hold also, I am number 18, it sounds good!

I put Force of Nature on hold too (#30), and I'm pretty sure it was @LoriLori who mentioned that this sequel was coming out.  It's not coming out until next Tuesday.  I read The Dry but I wasn't the first.  I heard about it here.  Will whoever recommended this book first please stand up and identify yourself!  

For what's worth, I liked The Dry, but not as much as some reviewers.  If I were generous I might give it a 4, only because they won't let you rate something 3.5 (which I don't understand at all).  A lot of books are in the 3.5 range for me. 

Respected Contributor

I finished The Absent One (Jussi Adler-Olsen) the 2nd in the Department Q series.  I can't overstate how disappointed I am in this book.  The sadistic cruelty to people and animals was unrelenting and unnecessary.  I skimmed through as much of it as I could and wondered did the same person who wrote the first book in this series really write this one. Even the main character (who charmed me in the first book) seemed flat and uninteresting.   Not sure I will try the third, although the reviews on it are better. 

Respected Contributor

I'm now reading The Immortalists (Chloe Benjamin).  It has an intriguing premise.  In the prologue, four siblings go to a fortune teller who tells them the exact date of their death.  I'm about 40% into it.  It will be interesting to see if this information affects their life choices.

Honored Contributor

I just started STILL MISSING by Chevy Stevens, it is a mystery......It starts off really good, and I just read another book by this author and I loved it.

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005wrote:

Sunala & Smoky2016,

In the January post, I mentioned that I was about to begin reading Grist Mill Road.

Wanted you to know that I read the first chapter and it was a little too much for me so I returned it.  I'll be curious to see what you think about the book.

I may try it again later on.

@roeroe1005@sunala@smoky22 I read Grist Mill Road, it was ok. Nothing Special to me at all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]