Respected Contributor

Re: ~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

Finished Mario Giordano's Auntie Poldi and The Sicilian Lions.  It only took me a week but felt like longer since I kept on picking it up and putting it down.  Like I said in my other post when I started reading it, something got lost in translation for me from German to English. 

Onto a familiar author for me.  Sophie Kinsella's Surprise Me.  It was a surprise win from Read It Forward since I never got notice that I won. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chihuahuamom Glad to hear you loved Need to know, I have this on Waitlist, thanks for your review.

Respected Contributor

@tobewrote:

THE TELOMERE EFFECT  by Elizabeth Blackburn, PhD, and Elissa Epel, PhD      

This is a Scientific and Healthy Lifestyle book.

Telomeres are at the end of our chromosomes.  They determine how fast our cells age.  The longer they are and stay, the better.  Many things can alter and shorten them, such as stress, diet, disease.  This book has practical suggestions on how to reverse and keep telomeres at their best.  Science meets healthy strategies in this book.  The book is easy to read and understand.  A great how to on living healthy, longer, and staying more youthful.

@tobe  thanks to your recommendation, I'm reading this book now.  It's really interesting! 

Respected Contributor

I finished Force of Nature (Jane Harper) and it never really gelled with me.  There is not enough of Aaron Falk and the wilderness story was just not believable to me.  The second half was better than the first half.

I remember that @CareBears once said she is usually generous in her reviews and I must be just the opposite (Haha).    

Honored Contributor

Update:

On The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

and I'm going to post it on that thread too.  This is how much I love this book and want to get it in as many of your cat-loving, great-book-loving hands as possible:

I emailed Amazon twice about the Kindle-verified reviews and got nothing helpful back.  So I just spent half an hour on the phone with tech.  They said every one of those "Kindle-verified reviews" is a glitch from their computer.  There is not and has never been a Kindle version available here.

One part is they are going to look at the technical glitch.

But the other part is they are going to escalate to corporate people who are responsible for these things that they need to work with the publisher to get it published here!

They're calling me next week.  This book NEEDS to be published.  I told them it's not as good as Ove, not at all, but is in the same heartfelt, funny, beautifully-written category as Ove.  That got their attention!

Honored Contributor

P.S. to the above:  This book is so great it's why I'm putting so much focus on it.  It's superb.  It's beautiful...I just got a notiiciation from QVC that I've ranked up to "honored" and seriously I'm glad it happened on a post about this awesome book!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond. It's very interesting.  There is something strange about that group; things don't seem quite right. I'm eager to see what happens.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslawwrote:

I'm reading The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond. It's very interesting.  There is something strange about that group; things don't seem quite right. I'm eager to see what happens.

@teganslaw- oh yes, VERY strange! I can't wait until you let us know what you think of it when you're done.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@smoky22totally agree...well said

Esteemed Contributor

Just wrapped up reading, All Creatures Great And Small by James Herriot  I became quite taken by the characters in the book, I laughed, cried and lost my heart to the country side where he practices as a new vet out on his first job, why did it take me so long to read this book, who knows but I am sure glad I read it!  Moving on to The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, looking forward to reading this one!