Esteemed Contributor

~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

Happy February 2018 to all!!!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one)!

If you like, post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

"Island Beneath tjhe Sea."  by Isabel Allende. The book tells the story of Zarite, a slave in the 19th century, and how she comes to terms with her destiny. I love Allende's style of writing. Her descriptions of places make a person feel like they are visiting those areas. The book is sad because she describes exactly how bad slaves had it, but it also makes one feel that they can overcome obstacles. I've read other books by Allende, and highly recommend her. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor

THE TELOMERE EFFECT  by Elizabeth Blackburn, PhD, and Elissa Epel, PhD      

This is a Scientific and Healthy Lifestyle book.

Telomeres are at the end of our chromosomes.  They determine how fast our cells age.  The longer they are and stay, the better.  Many things can alter and shorten them, such as stress, diet, disease.  This book has practical suggestions on how to reverse and keep telomeres at their best.  Science meets healthy strategies in this book.  The book is easy to read and understand.  A great how to on living healthy, longer, and staying more youthful.

Respected Contributor

OMG...I just got done reading the best phychological thriller I have read in awhile.  The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.  If you liked Watching Edie, Gone Girl, etc., I think you will really like this one.  I could hardly put it down.  I believe it is Greer Hendricks's first book.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

THE TELOMERE EFFECT  by Elizabeth Blackburn, PhD, and Elissa Epel, PhD      

This is a Scientific and Healthy Lifestyle book.

Telomeres are at the end of our chromosomes.  They determine how fast our cells age.  The longer they are and stay, the better.  Many things can alter and shorten them, such as stress, diet, disease.  This book has practical suggestions on how to reverse and keep telomeres at their best.  Science meets healthy strategies in this book.  The book is easy to read and understand.  A great how to on living healthy, longer, and staying more youthful.

@tobe  I just put this book on waitlist.  It sounds like something I need to read.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Respected Contributor

I just finished City of Endless Night, the latest Agent Pendergast.  I always enjoy this series, even though they strain credulity most of the time.  The writing is superb, there are hardly ever any slow spots, and of course, the main character is intriguing.  Another winner.

Valued Contributor

I am reading The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin.

I am 50% through it, and it's falling short for me.

AMAZON BLURB:

It is 1914, and twenty-five-year-old Frances Marion has left her (second) husband and her Northern California home for the lure of Los Angeles, where she is determined to live independently as an artist. But the word on everyone’s lips these days is “flickers”—the silent moving pictures enthralling theatergoers. Turn any corner in this burgeoning town and you’ll find made-up actors running around, as a movie camera captures it all.

In this fledgling industry, Frances finds her true calling: writing stories for this wondrous new medium. She also makes the acquaintance of actress Mary Pickford, whose signature golden curls and lively spirit have earned her the title “America’s Sweetheart.” The two ambitious young women hit it off instantly, their kinship fomented by their mutual fever to create, to move audiences to a frenzy, to start a revolution.

But their ambitions are challenged by both the men around them and the limitations imposed on their gender—and their astronomical success could come at a price. As Mary, the world’s highest paid and most beloved actress, struggles to live her life under the spotlight, she also wonders if it is possible to find love, even with the dashing actor Douglas Fairbanks. Frances, too, longs to share her life with someone. As in any good Hollywood story, dramas will play out, personalities will clash, and even the deepest friendships might be shattered.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, thanks for the review.  Just put the Pendergast book on hold.  LM

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I am reading The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin.

I am 50% through it, and it's falling short for me.

It did me too and I was surprised since that time period and that particular actress always fascinated me @pateacher.  I finished it but not like the other movie star books I have read over the years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

SUNDAY SILENCE  Nicci French

THE WOMAN in the WINDOW  A.J. Finn

THE VOICE INSIDE  Brian Freeman