Respected Contributor

Re: ~~ WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2018 ~~

@dawg lover thanks for mentioning the new Hamish book.  I didn't realize it was coming out.  I put it on waitlist but apparently it's not being published until next week.  You must have an early copy.  

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22wrote:

@dawg lover thanks for mentioning the new Hamish book.  I didn't realize it was coming out.  I put it on waitlist but apparently it's not being published until next week.  You must have an early copy.  

@smoky22 - Hmm, the Flavia book is 3 weeks late and the Hamish MacBeth book is a week early.  What goes on behind those library "Staff Only" doors???

Esteemed Contributor

I took a short trip over the long weekend, which is code for "I had time to actually READ a book!"

First of all, I finally finished Dead Wake by Erik Larson - his book about the Lusitania.  I started this on my last vacation in November and basically just had the epilogue to finish, but the timer said that there was actually 2 hours left to read!  The bulk of this was the Notes (which I didn't know) and I only glanced through those.

I also read The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel.  Somebody posted about this when they were reading a preview and, it must have been somebody I admired on this board, as I preordered the book months before it was released based on their review.  However, I only just got around to reading it.  I got a little confused by the different names of the Roanoke girls - who's story was I reading? But the bulk of the story was told by one voice - switching back and forth between then and now. Sixteen year old Lane moves in with her grandparents and cousin Allegra after her mother commits suicide. After a turbulent summer, Lane learns the family secret her mother was trying to protect her from and runs away.  Ten years later, Lane returns when she is told Allegra is missing.  Subject matter not for everyone, but I thought the book moved along well and was well written.

Super Contributor

I picked up a random Joe Pickett book by C.J. Box, and have found a new favorite series.  Open Season (the first novel) was terrific and Savage Run (#2) was equally good.  I just started Blue Heaven, one of his stand alone novels, and it's also quite good.  Without a doubt I'm a fan of the strong, silent hero who loves his family and always tries to do "the right thing".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LA LA LA LA LA - Putting fingers in my ears so I don;t hear you.

Flavia series - you guys are killing me. Should I add this to my list?

I'm 3/4 of the way through of Tana French's 2nd book. which i'm books behind.

I'm years behind every series i pick up along the way. sigh

Respected Contributor

I finished All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven and Never Missing Never Found by Amanda Panitch.  Both of them are from the Young Adult Fiction category. 

All the Bright Places is about a troubled young man dealing with bipolar disorder and a young woman dealing with the death of her sister. It is a pretty depressing book.  I don't recommend it. 

Never Missing Never Found is about a young women who was kidnapped and held captive for years but escaped. Now she is trying to learn how to live in the real world and working in a amusement park.  It is a mystery and held my attention. It is pretty entertaining. 

I was reading those books because I was trying to find good books for my tween daughter who is reading beyond her grade level.  But I don't think either of those books are suitable for her. They are in the young adult catergory because the main characters are teenagers, but the material is definitely not for young teens. The first one is too depressing, and the second one is too scary.

I am currently reading The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.  It is recommended for ages 8-12. But as an adult, I am thoroughly enjoying it so far!  It is a mystery with smart and funny writing. It reminds me of the Harry Potter books, perfect for both children and adults.  I can't wait to see how it ends.  My daughter has already read it and loved it.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooeywrote:

@Yahooey, you must read the Flavia series.  Starting with number one, "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie."  They are charming and funny and so original.  If you had told me I would love a series with an 11-year-old solving crimes I would have said you're out of your mind. 

Some are not as good as others but they have to be read in order and I'm still reading the latest and I have to say, it's my favorite of all of them!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLoriwrote:

@Yahooeywrote:

@Yahooey, you must read the Flavia series.  Starting with number one, "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie."  They are charming and funny and so original.  If you had told me I would love a series with an 11-year-old solving crimes I would have said you're out of your mind. 

Some are not as good as others but they have to be read in order and I'm still reading the latest and I have to say, it's my favorite of all of them!

@Yahooey I second @LoriLori's thought's on the Flavia series. I fell in love with her from the first one and just finished book number four. Don't feel bad about being behind in many series. I am in the same boat and am only on the second or third book in many series that many people on this thread are all caught up on. The only series that I am almost caught up on is the ABC series by Sue Grafton and now unfortunately there will never be a Z book. Sometimes when I see a new book that interests me I dread it when I find out it is one of a series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@abbaluluwrote:

@LoriLoriwrote:

@Yahooeywrote:

@Yahooey I second @LoriLori's thought's on the Flavia series. I fell in love with her from the first one and just finished book number four. Don't feel bad about being behind in many series. I am in the same boat and am only on the second or third book in many series that many people on this thread are all caught up on. The only series that I am almost caught up on is the ABC series by Sue Grafton and now unfortunately there will never be a Z book. Sometimes when I see a new book that interests me I dread it when I find out it is one of a series.

@LoriLori@abbalulu

I will add Flaviia to the ever growing list. I'm up to Letter M in the Sue Grafton series. 

Valued Contributor

Finished The Wife Between Us.  It had a little twist, but nothing like I'd expected from previous reports.  Wasn't too excited about it.