Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ DECEMBER 2017

@Honeybit wrote:

I don't generally take to "Chick Lit", but I just finished three books by Jenny Colgan that I thoroughly enjoyed --

The Little Beach Street Bakery

Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery

Christmas at the Little Beach Street Bakery

If you're looking for something light and fun for a change, Colgan delights in her distinctive characters and vivid settings -- there's even an interesting little Puffin named Neil whose conversation consists mainly of "Eep."  Do read them in order -- you won't enjoy the Christmas one as much if you start with it.

Agree with you. I've really loved Jenny Colgan's books. Easy reads.

Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I've read a few books when I was on vacation last month:

The Scarred Woman by Jussi Adler Olsen - the 7th book in the Department Q series.  I think the author writes his male characters very well - I love to read their interactions.  Or, I usually love to read them.  Something was missing this novel - didn't have the same chemistry between the two main male characters.  The story also focused on female characters, which I've never thought was a strength.  I still enjoyed it as it progressed some of the backstory along.  Just not something for somebody who isn't a fan of the series.

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz - the 2nd in the reboot of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series.  Many here have read this one.  I did like it, but find that, in general, the stories aren't as rich or complex as when Larsson's wrote.  More generic.  But, I always enjoy Lisbeth Salander.

I'm also in the middle of reading Dead Wake by Erik Larson, which I'm enjoying but find that I don't read much at home so expect to be slow to finish.  This is the one about the Lusitania - I'm actually at the part where the ship turned right into the sites of the German sub. Kindle tells me I have 4 more hours to go.

After a little radio break, I finally started to listen to my audiobooks during my commute and finished Sourdough by Robin Sloan.  This was such an enjoyable listen - without a doubt my favorite audio narrator of the year.  Not only was she perfect for the narrator, the audio also included relevent mood music necessary for certain parts.

Selected this book as it was included on some top books of 2017 lists.  It's not going to be to everyone's tastes as it gets a little...weird...at the end.  But, it was funny and made me laugh.  A young woman recently moves to San Francisco to work long hours at a robotics company.  Overworked and highly stressed, her one joy is ordering her daily soup and sandwich - which actually makes her begin to feel better.  But, tragic, the cook and his brother need to leave the country and they leave her with their (somewhat mystical) sourdough starter, which ends up changing her life.  Like I said, the story gets strange and a lot of people won't like it, but I will say that the ending was very satisfying to me.

@Alter Ego, sorry to read that about The Scarred Woman.  I love this series, and am going to start this one today (audio).  I'll let you know if I have the same reaction to this book as you did (I seem to like the same genre as you).

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@Honeybit wrote:

I don't generally take to "Chick Lit", but I just finished three books by Jenny Colgan that I thoroughly enjoyed --

The Little Beach Street Bakery

Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery

Christmas at the Little Beach Street Bakery

If you're looking for something light and fun for a change, Colgan delights in her distinctive characters and vivid settings -- there's even an interesting little Puffin named Neil whose conversation consists mainly of "Eep."  Do read them in order -- you won't enjoy the Christmas one as much if you start with it.

Agree with you. I've really loved Jenny Colgan's books. Easy reads.

Love her and all the ones you are enjoying now @DukeBlueNan

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@sk888888 - I look forward to your review.  If you remember, would you please tag me so I don’t miss it?  (Obviously, not a problem if you don’t!)

i just thought there was a was a wonderful moment last book, when Carl realized how close he had gotten to Assad after such a short time working together (at the funeral), and there wasn’t anything like that in this book.  I do wonder if we are starting to get closer to finally getting Assad’s back story (although I’m not sure if I want it now or just love the mystery of him!)

Respected Contributor

audio book from the library

Sisters First: Stories from Our Wild and Wonderful Life

by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush.

I really like Jenna Bush on the Today Show.

Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sk888888 - I look forward to your review.  If you remember, would you please tag me so I don’t miss it?  (Obviously, not a problem if you don’t!)

i just thought there was a was a wonderful moment last book, when Carl realized how close he had gotten to Assad after such a short time working together (at the funeral), and there wasn’t anything like that in this book.  I do wonder if we are starting to get closer to finally getting Assad’s back story (although I’m not sure if I want it now or just love the mystery of him!)

@Alter Ego, I think part of why I love Assad so much is BECAUSE we don't know his backstory!!  I've just started it, so will keep you in mind when I'm done!

Contributor

I forgot to come back to this forum to - once again - thank the members for their collective recommendations of The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens.  I really enjoyed the story and the writing, and look forward to reading another of his, The Heavens May Fall, which has been on my TBR list for far too long.

Honored Contributor

Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda. 4.5 stars. Very enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda. 4.5 stars. Very enjoyable.

@brewhaha

I read that also.  If was difficult to put down!

Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Last night I finished Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy. It was about a group of children who go missing in South America after getting off the ship with their parents. It was quite suspenseful and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was recommended to me by someone here. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it kept me up reading too late at night!

Today I started The True American: Murder and Mercy in Texas, by Anand Giridharadas. It's non-fiction which is not my favorite type of book, but it seems good. I only read a little but I got into it. I hope that lasts, as lately it's been hard for me to start reading a new book and continuing with it. I seem not to be able to concentrate on a new book. To me that's a new habit I'm not loving. Does this happen to anyone else? 

Happy reading!

Sunala, 2017 was a banner year for me to pull the bookmark on books started that just did not hold my interest enough to continue with them.  I don’t have the exact number in front of me, but it is over 40 books!  Life is just too short to waste on a book that I am hating.