Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ DECEMBER 2017

@Alter Ego  I just put Sourdough on waitlist (the ebook, not the audio version).  It sounds intriguing.  I like books that are a little out of the ordinary. 

Respected Contributor

I finished The Obsidian Chamber (Agent Pendergast).  It was another very personal adventure for Agent Pendergast, delving almost into soap opera territory.  I hope the next one is more of a reboot to the original style of the series.

Also read The Christmas Surprise (Anne Perry).  I love that she takes secondary characters from her main books and features them in her Christmas books.  This time it's Charles Latterly, brother of Hester Monk, who finds himself in Stromboli, Italy as the volcano is about to erupt. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now I'm reading The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson).  

I'm also reading Pachinko (Min Jin Lee).  It's a National Book Award finalist and I like it so far.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Alter Ego  I just put Sourdough on waitlist (the ebook, not the audio version).  It sounds intriguing.  I like books that are a little out of the ordinary. 

I hope you like it - also hope you read the official description to get a bit more detail so you’re not disappointed!  Haha.  I’m actually thinking about getting the author’s first novel.

Funny, I just looked on Audible and apparently the narrator I loved mispronounced a TON of landmark SanFran names!!  Also, I saw that she narrated part of a prior book that I read this year (and remember being very positive about that audible too.)

Trusted Contributor

I don't generally take to "Chick Lit", but I just finished three books by Jenny Colgan that I thoroughly enjoyed --

The Little Beach Street Bakery

Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery

Christmas at the Little Beach Street Bakery

If you're looking for something light and fun for a change, Colgan delights in her distinctive characters and vivid settings -- there's even an interesting little Puffin named Neil whose conversation consists mainly of "Eep."  Do read them in order -- you won't enjoy the Christmas one as much if you start with it.

Trusted Contributor

Friends, I just read the first Jan Karon book about Mitford. I have no idea why it took me so long to begin this series but completely worth the wait. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finished Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy. It was about a group of children who go missing in South America after getting off the ship with their parents. It was quite suspenseful and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was recommended to me by someone here. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it kept me up reading too late at night!

Today I started The True American: Murder and Mercy in Texas, by Anand Giridharadas. It's non-fiction which is not my favorite type of book, but it seems good. I only read a little but I got into it. I hope that lasts, as lately it's been hard for me to start reading a new book and continuing with it. I seem not to be able to concentrate on a new book. To me that's a new habit I'm not loving. Does this happen to anyone else? 

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

I don't generally take to "Chick Lit", but I just finished three books by Jenny Colgan that I thoroughly enjoyed --

The Little Beach Street Bakery

Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery

Christmas at the Little Beach Street Bakery

If you're looking for something light and fun for a change, Colgan delights in her distinctive characters and vivid settings -- there's even an interesting little Puffin named Neil whose conversation consists mainly of "Eep."  Do read them in order -- you won't enjoy the Christmas one as much if you start with it.

@Honeybit- I enjoyed this author very much when I read The Little Shop Happy Ever After, about a woman who buys a large van and turns it into a bookmobile in a foreign country. It was delightful! I'm going to try The Little Beach Street Bakery series as well; they sound great.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan Welcome to Mitford, where it feels like home every time you open one of Jan Karons books!

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Friends, I just read the first Jan Karon book about Mitford. I have no idea why it took me so long to begin this series but completely worth the wait. 

I think the first At Home in Mitford book is the one that gave me a good laugh (among others) about a song playing and the name of it was, "I bought the shoes that walked out on me today." That was a good one!