Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ DECEMBER 2017

My next read for today is Good me Bad Me Bad Me by Ali Land, another psychological thriller for me, I am on a roll, after this book I am going to need something lighter here is the run down from Amazon:

Good Me Bad Me is dark, compelling, voice-driven psychological suspense by debut author Ali Land: "Could not be more unputdownable if it was slathered with superglue." —Sunday Express

Milly’s mother is a serial killer. Though Milly loves her mother, the only way to make her stop is to turn her in to the police. Milly is given a fresh start: a new identity, a home with an affluent foster family, and a spot at an exclusive private school.

But Milly has secrets, and life at her new home becomes complicated. As her mother's trial looms, with Milly as the star witness, Milly starts to wonder how much of her is nature, how much of her is nurture, and whether she is doomed to turn out like her mother after all.

When tensions rise and Milly feels trapped by her shiny new life, she has to decide: Will she be good? Or is she bad? She is, after all, her mother's daughter.

Will let you know how I like it when I finish.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

My next read for today is Good me Bad Me Bad Me by Ali Land, another psychological thriller for me, I am on a roll, after this book I am going to need something lighter here is the run down from Amazon:

Good Me Bad Me is dark, compelling, voice-driven psychological suspense by debut author Ali Land: "Could not be more unputdownable if it was slathered with superglue." —Sunday Express

Milly’s mother is a serial killer. Though Milly loves her mother, the only way to make her stop is to turn her in to the police. Milly is given a fresh start: a new identity, a home with an affluent foster family, and a spot at an exclusive private school.

But Milly has secrets, and life at her new home becomes complicated. As her mother's trial looms, with Milly as the star witness, Milly starts to wonder how much of her is nature, how much of her is nurture, and whether she is doomed to turn out like her mother after all.

When tensions rise and Milly feels trapped by her shiny new life, she has to decide: Will she be good? Or is she bad? She is, after all, her mother's daughter.

Will let you know how I like it when I finish.

@CareBears@beckyb1012 This one is on my to read list as well. Sounds very interesting!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN Will let you know!

Trusted Contributor

Year One by Nora Roberts ( I was lucky enough to be first in line with the library copy.

Honored Contributor

Re:  "The Magpie" by Anthony Horowitz --

I just finished the first section of Pund's.  And it only dawned on me after way over 100 pages:  Magpie...Magnus Pye.

Is that a pun?  Does it enter into the plot?  Not looking for spoilers but I feel stupid since that was right in front of my face the whole time and I only just realized it LOL.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished reading The last Mrs. Parish", I thought it was a good read.  See my previous run down at what Amazon had to say.  It was disturbing at times how the main Character Amber, was able to manipulate her into a families life because she herself dreamed of luxury and money to burn from her small town in Missouri, where to find out she did not lead the most charming life either.  This story definitely showed greed, manipulation, and callousness, how a person could become so cruel is beyond me, I just kept shaking my head, saying "OMG how could she", it just kept getting darker and darker the more I read on, but it was an enjoyable read simply for the fact that the authors laid out a story that must have takenmonths if not not longer to lay out the intricacy of the deception is this book, very well done IMO!  I mention authors because the name of Liv Constatine is two sisters that live 3 states a part and do endless hours of Facetime, emails, and phone calls to write the book together, they say 2 heads are better than one, and this book proved that with this engaging book!

@CareBears

I am currently reading and enjoying this book.  I am about halfway through it because my social life keeps disturbing me!

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears. Thank you for your review..it got me interested in Heather Graham. I went to the library and checked out two of her books. Phantom Evil and The Unseen. I'm reading Phantom Evil now and enjoying it. I love the paranormal.  I'm usually reading nonfiction but this kind of takes me away from the chaos of these days.  Thanks again!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

Listening to Patrick Taylors' Irish Country series.  I'll start #3 sometime next week.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read a few books when I was on vacation last month:

The Scarred Woman by Jussi Adler Olsen - the 7th book in the Department Q series.  I think the author writes his male characters very well - I love to read their interactions.  Or, I usually love to read them.  Something was missing this novel - didn't have the same chemistry between the two main male characters.  The story also focused on female characters, which I've never thought was a strength.  I still enjoyed it as it progressed some of the backstory along.  Just not something for somebody who isn't a fan of the series.

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz - the 2nd in the reboot of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series.  Many here have read this one.  I did like it, but find that, in general, the stories aren't as rich or complex as when Larsson's wrote.  More generic.  But, I always enjoy Lisbeth Salander.

I'm also in the middle of reading Dead Wake by Erik Larson, which I'm enjoying but find that I don't read much at home so expect to be slow to finish.  This is the one about the Lusitania - I'm actually at the part where the ship turned right into the sites of the German sub. Kindle tells me I have 4 more hours to go.

After a little radio break, I finally started to listen to my audiobooks during my commute and finished Sourdough by Robin Sloan.  This was such an enjoyable listen - without a doubt my favorite audio narrator of the year.  Not only was she perfect for the narrator, the audio also included relevent mood music necessary for certain parts.

Selected this book as it was included on some top books of 2017 lists.  It's not going to be to everyone's tastes as it gets a little...weird...at the end.  But, it was funny and made me laugh.  A young woman recently moves to San Francisco to work long hours at a robotics company.  Overworked and highly stressed, her one joy is ordering her daily soup and sandwich - which actually makes her begin to feel better.  But, tragic, the cook and his brother need to leave the country and they leave her with their (somewhat mystical) sourdough starter, which ends up changing her life.  Like I said, the story gets strange and a lot of people won't like it, but I will say that the ending was very satisfying to me.

Honored Contributor

The Blessing, by Wanda Brunstetter;

The Proving, by Beverly Lewis;

The Story of Arthur Truluv, by Elizabeth Berg.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."