Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Thin Air by Lisa Gray,  if you want an action packed book this is for you, very good!

@CareBears - I read this book and the sequel, BAD MEMORY, is just as good!  A third book is coming out this fall.  The heroine reminded me of a modern day Kinsey Milhone from the Sue Grafton Alphabet series books.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@smoky22 , did you watch the series The Handmaid's Tale?  I was totally mesmerized by it.  Elizabeth Moss was fabulous.  I never thought she was exceptional until I saw her in this series.

I can't read Margaret Atwood.  I find her too dark.  LM

@Lilysmom   I did not watch The Handmaid's Tale.  I hardly ever watch something I've read that is made into a movie or tv series.  I'm glad you enjoyed the series.      

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover  thanks for the heads up on the new P.J.Tracy book.  I'll make a note of it.  

Speaking of upcoming books, and you probably already know this, Robert Galbraith has a new Cormoran Strike coming out in September called Troubled Blood.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover  I have read Bad Memory also and I agree it was good, thanks for the heads up about her book coming this fall!

Contributor

I love Fannie Flagg's books, this will be next on my list, thanks for the review!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

Tonight I finished a book that was published in 1988.  It is Michael Chabon's first book:  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.  Really not a very good title for the story.  The plot and character development left a lot to be desired.  Some of his later books were better.  This was nothing special.  Warning: sex scenes in book, including homosexual sex.  Skip this if that is not something you want to read. 

@maximillian 

I read this when it first came out and really liked it from what I can remember. I've tried to read his other books but I couldn't get into them.  I've read many of his wife's books Ayelet Waldman.  She did a mystery series and then maybe one or two stand alone.  Can't remember the last book she wrote.  It's been a while.

@SWEET  hiya. I agree; I don't love Michael Chabon's books although they sound good, but when I try to read one, it falls flat. I don't like Ayelet Waldman's books either.

I'm falling into another reading rut. I've been reading Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, but even though it's getting exciting, (Galveston is floating away), I'm still not enjoying it. I may stop reading it, although I do want to get through it. Too much technical scientific weather information I don't understand. 

I have some what I consider excellent books on my Kindle I got from the library but one by one, I'm casting them away. I'm just not in the mood. 

I guess it's time to clean out my closets. I'll get into a reading mood fast enough!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

Tonight I finished a book that was published in 1988.  It is Michael Chabon's first book:  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.  Really not a very good title for the story.  The plot and character development left a lot to be desired.  Some of his later books were better.  This was nothing special.  Warning: sex scenes in book, including homosexual sex.  Skip this if that is not something you want to read. 

@maximillian 

I read this when it first came out and really liked it from what I can remember. I've tried to read his other books but I couldn't get into them.  I've read many of his wife's books Ayelet Waldman.  She did a mystery series and then maybe one or two stand alone.  Can't remember the last book she wrote.  It's been a while.

@SWEET  hiya. I agree; I don't love Michael Chabon's books although they sound good, but when I try to read one, it falls flat. I don't like Ayelet Waldman's books either.

I'm falling into another reading rut. I've been reading Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, but even though it's getting exciting, (Galveston is floating away), I'm still not enjoying it. I may stop reading it, although I do want to get through it. Too much technical scientific weather information I don't understand. 

I have some what I consider excellent books on my Kindle I got from the library but one by one, I'm casting them away. I'm just not in the mood. 

I guess it's time to clean out my closets. I'll get into a reading mood fast enough!

@sunala 

LOL re cleaning out your closets.  I've been ptb on a lot more books lately.  I've never wasted my time and now I'm really getting picky.  Our LFL is doing well and people are dropping off huge boxes of books but most are nf, kids, and hardly any fiction but I have found a few and I've also been weeding out a lot of mine that I know I'll never read (like MMPB) and the plots don't thrill me anymore. I hope you find something soon that you'll enjoy.  Plenty of books out there.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got quite a surprising and pleasant email from The Book Depository last night, telling me that my copy of Anthony Horowitz's "MOONFLOWER MURDERS" was in the mail from the UK.  I must have bought it many months ago, because I don't even remember buying it!  But, I got a great sale price and it's coming out now, rather than in November in the US, so it seems like something I would do.  It's over 600 pages long!  I loved the original book, "MAGPIE MURDERS," and thought it was so clever.  It's funny how in the UK, many times they will publish the paperback edition before the hardback edition, I guess to judge the public interest.

Respected Contributor

Love Jennifer Hillier and just finished Little Secrets (psychological thriller).  Am currently reading one of my favorite author's newest book, and it has not disappointed.  LOVE IT!!!  28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand.  It may be my favorite book of hers so far:  romance (but not corny), Nantucket, descriptions of great food..she's the perfect beach-read author, but I love her books period!

Trusted Contributor

I finished two new mystery books recently, and both were pretty good:

"LONG BRIGHT RIVER" by Liz Moore - a policewoman looks for her troubled missing sister out on the streets, as a serial killer stalks addicts and prostitutes.

"THE FINDERS" by Jeffrey Burton - a dog trainer works with a new Human Remains Detection dog to solve cases. Nice humor in here, similar to David Rosenfelt and Robert Crais.  @Judaline - No dogs die in this book!