Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

I will be returning The Border by Don Winslow to the library tomorrow. I really have enjoyed other books that I have read by this author, and I gave it my best with 150 pages in, but I just feel that with all that is going on right now in our country/world, I can't read this book at this time. 

I will start Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh. I am not sure what genre this would fall under, the year is 2079, so I am leaning towards SCI-FI/Romance. This was recommended  by another poster on this forum so I decided to check it out. 

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw 

Thank you for your review.  I have a copy of that (THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND) and just have not gotten around to reading it yet.  Now I am intrigued.  That may be my next read.

Honored Contributor

Here are 2 wonderful books which I just finished:

Two Good Dogs - Susan Wilson

The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna - Juliet Grames

I couldn't put either one down!

Enjoy!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

The Dilemma, by BA Paris not bad,  different from other books  written by writer.  Also read  by Sarah Pinborough,  Dead To Her interesting,not really what I wanted, 75% is explicit language  and sexual content.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Lost and Found Bookshop by Susan Wiggs, I adored this book!  From the touching relationship the main character had with her grandfather, to the sweet love story, to the quotes regarding books, what was not to like!  My favorite quote from the book, was "Your never alone when you have a book, or something similar to that, I have been an avid reader since I was old enough to read, and like the main character when I was a teenager I would rather have been reading a book at home then going to parties, YES I was a book nerd, and I am proud to say I still am!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been in a fantasy mood this month.  

The Rage of Dragons, by Evan Winter (bk 1) 

The LIbrary of the Unwritten, by A.J Hackwith

The Lies of Lock LaMora, by Scott Lynch (bk 1)

Red Sister, by Mark Lawrence (bk 1)

Grey Sister, by Mark Lawrence (bk 2)

The Dark Hunters, by Sherrily Kenyon (bk 2) This is a manga

Non-fantasy

Cantoras, by Carolina De Robertis.  Translated from spanish.

Ghosts, by Raina Telgemeier.  Children's Graphic novel 

They called us enemy, by George Takei.  Graphic novel about the Japanese internment camps. 

Respected Contributor

Last night I finished reading Shiner by Amy Jo Burns.  Wren Bird is15 and growing up in a cabin in the mountains of West Virginia.  Her family has no car, no mailbox and no visitors, except for her mother's lifelong best friend.  This is a great book and I highly recommend it.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Tonight I finished a book that was published in 1988.  It is Michael Chabon's first book:  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.  Really not a very good title for the story.  The plot and character development left a lot to be desired.  Some of his later books were better.  This was nothing special.  Warning: sex scenes in book, including homosexual sex.  Skip this if that is not something you want to read. 

Contributor

Have you read THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY? If you enjoy fantasy I think you would really like this book. The author is Alex Harrow.

Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Tonight I finished a book that was published in 1988.  It is Michael Chabon's first book:  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.  Really not a very good title for the story.  The plot and character development left a lot to be desired.  Some of his later books were better.  This was nothing special.  Warning: sex scenes in book, including homosexual sex.  Skip this if that is not something you want to read. 

@maximillian 

I read this when it first came out and really liked it from what I can remember. I've tried to read his other books but I couldn't get into them.  I've read many of his wife's books Ayelet Waldman.  She did a mystery series and then maybe one or two stand alone.  Can't remember the last book she wrote.  It's been a while.