Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

I just finished Revenge by James Patterson & Andre Holmes,  a book full of action and violence it was an OK book!

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Well, my August is starting off wrong.  I just abandoned my 2nd book in 3 days. 

I wanted to like Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken but it was weird and mish-mosh.  A woman is found in a cemetery in the 1800s and married the dr. who saved her and decides to open and start a bowling alley for women.  After she dies, it gets all strange and mish mosh with the characters.

Going to read Melissa Storm's The Sunday Potluck Club which I've been waiting for 4 and 1/2 months from Kensington.  They were closed for COVID and wasn't sure when I was going to get it.  It looks like a light read and not like the above book.

@SWEET  -  hi, you made me laugh out loud although I don't think you meant to. Here's your sentence:

I wanted to like Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken but it was weird and mish-mosh.  A woman is found in a cemetery in the 1800s and married the dr. who saved her and decides to open and start a bowling alley for women.  After she dies, it gets all strange and mish mosh with the characters.

OMG that sounded so funny to me!! In the 1800's a woman opens a bowling alley for women? Did they really have bowling alleys back then, especially for women? I pictured these women trying to bowl with their long black dresses and black lace up boots lol And THEN it got mish-mosh? OMG I want to read this book only to laugh. Thanks for brightening my day!

She was the first woman to do so I think in that town. Not sure if it's based on a real story or not so it's possible there could have been a bowling alley for women only. 

It was funny that some of the women wore split skirts so they could bowl.  Glad I made you laugh. 

Respected Contributor

Didn't finish The Summer Wives by Beatriz Wiliams.  It bored me to tears.  I loved every book I've read by her so far.  I think I'm all beached out from Elin Hilderbrand's back to back books I read last week from Nantucket.  I got to my usual cut off page which is 100.

Onto Julia Spiro's Someone Else's Secret.  But guess what?  It is set on Martha VIneyard.  LOL.

I know my next few books WILL NOT be set in any of the above places.  I'm burned out I think.

Esteemed Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Read One Thousand White Women....based somewhat on fact...

@ProudMa  - One Thousand White Women was one of my very favorite books! I read the sequel. It wasn't as good but I read it anyway. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I am actually reading 3 books.  I just got Oprah's pick called "Caste".  Started last night and read first chapter. I'm hooked. ALso reading "Slaves in the Family" by Edward Ball.  I picked this  up years ago at my library for $1.  Both are non-fiction and are quite timely because they address current problems we are (and have been) facing. Excellent reads. My 3rd book is a much lighter topic called "Murder in Pigeon Cove."  Takes place where the setting is very familiar to me so its like a mini vacation.  Thank goodness for books!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I read Mexican Gothic by Sylvia Moreno-Garcia, a cross between horror and fantasy.  I rated it 3.5.  It had a very exciting finish, but overall not as good as I expected it to be.  

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading The Robber Bride (almost finished) by Margaret Atwood.  At over 500 pages it's a little too long, but she's a master of ingenious phrasing.  Her books are always a little dark (maybe a lot).  I think she's a brilliant writer.      

Valued Contributor

I have begun The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis. I've read almost all of her books.

I've finished The Scent Collector (Natalie Reid) The book of longings (Sue Monk Kidd) and The Price of Paradise(Susana Lopez Rubio)recently.

@bargainsgirl I have Caste on my wish list.  Let us know what you think.

@smoky22 I enjoy Margaret Atwood very much.  My favorite thus far is The Blind Assassin. I need to look into The Robber Bride.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 , did you watch the series The Handmaid's Tale?  I was totally mesmerized by it.  Elizabeth Moss was fabulous.  I never thought she was exceptional until I saw her in this series.

I can't read Margaret Atwood.  I find her too dark.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

"The Perfect Girlfriend" by Karen Hamilton. 

The main character, Juliette, is obsessed with her boyfriend and will go to any lengths to keep him interested in her. That means anything, no matter what it entitles. 

She is one twisted person; after reading this book anyone would be afraid to start a relationship. I had to keep reading to see what would happen next. 4 stars out of 5.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain