Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

@shy bobcat

To say the least.  I can't comment because I will be reprimanded or poofed!

Respected Contributor

Tansy (and others), I adore William Kent Krueger!

I love his series that takes place out west. I'm not that crazy about his stand-alone books, but I own them.

Waiting for the next book in his series!

Contributor

I just finished The Order by Daniel Silva. Another excellent book in the Gabriel Allon series.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have less than 100 pages left in a 1200 page book, Cemetary Road by Greg Isles.  It's been a marathon to get it read before due date at the library.  Good book or I wouldn't still be there.  I don't know the ending which is a good thing!  Without knowing the ending, I would give this 4/5 stars.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I stayed up late last night to finish How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. It's book 9 of her Chief Inspector Gamache mystery series. This book restored my love of this series after being less than thrilled with book 8. Reading this book, I realized why I didn't care for the prior book - it didn't take place at all in Three Pines. The pretty small town that houses a variety of characters in the other books. I missed the beauty of that town and it's quirky people. 

This book has the mystery of a death of a lady who was 1 of famous quintuplets born in the depression. It was an interesting storyline. I also liked that it appears the ongoing storyline about people out to get Gamache has been wrapped up? (if i'm wrong and it flares up again, please don't tell me! LOL ignorance is bliss). 

Honored Contributor

Musical Chairs

Saving Ruby KIng

The Golden Cage

A Good Marriage

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

Well, my August is starting off wrong.  I just abandoned my 2nd book in 3 days. 

I wanted to like Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken but it was weird and mish-mosh.  A woman is found in a cemetery in the 1800s and married the dr. who saved her and decides to open and start a bowling alley for women.  After she dies, it gets all strange and mish mosh with the characters.

Going to read Melissa Storm's The Sunday Potluck Club which I've been waiting for 4 and 1/2 months from Kensington.  They were closed for COVID and wasn't sure when I was going to get it.  It looks like a light read and not like the above book.

@SWEET  -  hi, you made me laugh out loud although I don't think you meant to. Here's your sentence:

I wanted to like Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken but it was weird and mish-mosh.  A woman is found in a cemetery in the 1800s and married the dr. who saved her and decides to open and start a bowling alley for women.  After she dies, it gets all strange and mish mosh with the characters.

OMG that sounded so funny to me!! In the 1800's a woman opens a bowling alley for women? Did they really have bowling alleys back then, especially for women? I pictured these women trying to bowl with their long black dresses and black lace up boots lol And THEN it got mish-mosh? OMG I want to read this book only to laugh. Thanks for brightening my day!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Lloysmom,I love Greg Iles books. Always looking forward to a new one. He never lets you down 😁

Esteemed Contributor

@FindingMyJoy , her next book All the Devils Are Here comes out Sept 1/20.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

Lloysmom,I love Greg Iles books. Always looking forward to a new one. He never lets you down 😁

Me too @Epicurean !  LM