Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

I'm just finishing Albert Camus The Plague, written more than 70 years ago and eerily like what we are going through right now.

Trusted Contributor

sunala,I have never watched the movie East of Eden. When I love a book I like to think of the characters as I see them in my head,if that makes any sense. I usually enjoy a book more than the movie,for most anyway,

Ha!

Trusted Contributor

I have always been interested in native America history,for no particular reason. I read about a book THE ONLY GOOD INDIAN. Written by a Native American. A horror story. Well, a horror it was.i just could not get into this book. Put it down and tried again later to read it, I had no idea what was going on.thought it was terribly boring. So,it's one of the rare times I didn't finish a book. Hate to pay for it and not read it.at least it was a kindle,a little cheaper 

Regular Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I finished reading Little Fire Everywhere by Celeste Ng.  Even though I knew very little about this book I've wanted to read it because it's been so popular.  I really enjoyed it and would recommend it.  

One of the best books I have ever read!

Respected Contributor

My latest read is Carousel Court by Joe McGinness Jr.  It is set in Southern California in the last round of bank foreclosures on expensive homes.  The book is ..umm..quite "edgey."   There is a dramatic storyline, but honestly, I did not think any of the main characters had any redeeming qualities.  I kept reading though!  Here is a warning: there is profanity and some sex scenes are rather explicit.  If you don't like that in a book, skip it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Pretty Things  by Janelle Brown.  Although lightweight and somewhat predictable, I liked it for what it was.  One very annoying thing about it - it's told via two viewpoints.  The author repeats some of the same action, but from the other side.  Because I knew before I read it that Nicole Kidman bought the rights and will produce and star in it for Amazon, I couldn't help but read it from that perspective.  I assume Nicole will play Nina's mother - age fits and is a good role, which could be expanded a little because it will be a limited series (and did the narrator even sound like her?).  I think some of the action veered towards Lifetime movie, but I actually have faith that Nicole will do a good job with it and will be sure to watch it when completed.

I saw that Ruth Ware released a short story and will listen to that next.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer.. I'm really enjoying it. It's about melding scientific knowledge and the teachings of plants.  Wisdom and legend of Potawatomi nation. The author is a botanist. She makes it very interesting ..

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just completed 28 Summers.  I was engrossed and compelled to complete.  That being said, I did not enjoy as much as previous books.  I guess I missed detail in emotions.

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

Just completed 28 Summers.  I was engrossed and compelled to complete.  That being said, I did not enjoy as much as previous books.  I guess I missed detail in emotions.

@Twins Mom 

I totally agree.  I liked Summer of 69 better but not by much. 

Trusted Contributor

In 2020, I finally realized it's ok if I don't like a book that everyone else just loves! It's ok if I try the book, after a few chapters, if I'm not enjoying it, I can quit and move on to something else! Previously, I've always felt the need to keep plodding thru a book in hopes it gets better or I see why everyone else gave it glowing reviews. Over the past couple months, I've decided it's just not worth it. There are too many other books out there to enjoy!

So over the past week, I tried 2 books that had rave reviews...both of them I just wasn't enjoying and just didn't care what happened to the main characters, so I gave up! I returned the ebooks to the library and moved on. 

I returned to a cozy mystery series I found earlier this year by Lucy Burdette. I read book 9 in her Key West Food Critic series. This book is called A Deadly Feast. My local library didn't have book 8 available so I'll jump back in the series when I get it. This series is set in Key West Florida. Each book feels like a mini-vacation to the Keys! Maybe it's because I really miss traveling and great vacation food, but I've really enjoyed this season. This book is set around Thanksgiving and gave great food recipes for the season. There is a variety of characters in the book that give it an overall feel-good story line even if there is a murder LOL. I have enjoyed the later books in the series vs the beginning books which is odd because usually I feel that the early books in a series are better? Overall an enjoyable very fast read and I look forward to reading the next book and dream about traveling to the Keys again Smiley Happy