Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

Happy AUGUST 2020 to all our readers. Because of the coronavirus, if you are socially distancing and staying home, you've got plenty of time to read and explore new books you've been meaning to read. I'm trying although I sometimes can't get into any books at all. 

Please share what you're currently reading, what you liked and what you didn't, and share them with us so we can enjoy them too.

Sending prayers to everyone here for good health. Take good care of yourselves and read a lot of wonderful books.

Happy Reading and a happy and HEALTHY month to all.

Hugs, Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2020

A Land Remembered. Historical novel about generations of a family that settled in Florida, beginning with the Civil War era.. A friend recommended it since I've lived in Florida two years. She thought I'd now be able to appreciate more of the story. It's quite interesting. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I finished reading Little Fire Everywhere by Celeste Ng.  Even though I knew very little about this book I've wanted to read it because it's been so popular.  I really enjoyed it and would recommend it.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not but one incredible book that changed my life is

"Playing Ball On Running Water"

BOOK 1.jpeg

STAY SAFE LIVE LONG

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Well, my August is starting off wrong.  I just abandoned my 2nd book in 3 days. 

I wanted to like Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken but it was weird and mish-mosh.  A woman is found in a cemetery in the 1800s and married the dr. who saved her and decides to open and start a bowling alley for women.  After she dies, it gets all strange and mish mosh with the characters.

Going to read Melissa Storm's The Sunday Potluck Club which I've been waiting for 4 and 1/2 months from Kensington.  They were closed for COVID and wasn't sure when I was going to get it.  It looks like a light read and not like the above book.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - Great news for you and other Alexander McCall Smith fans!  Apparently, he has been very busy writing during this time of Covid-19.  In addition to the new Precious book "HOW TO RAISE AN ELEPHANT" coming out in October, there will be a new Bertie book coming out in November in the UK!  Who knows when it will come out in the US, but you can read all about it on the Book Depository website.  It's called "A PROMISE OF ANKLES," referring to Angus' dog's longing for ankles to bite, I assume.  And in February, he finally has a new German professor book coming out as well, called "YOUR INNER HEDGEHOG."  I think these books are hilarious.  I am so excited to read all of them.  I agree with you about the Varg books; they're just okay, a little disappointing.  Glad you are enjoying the Viveca Sten Swedish mysteries.  I recently found out that they have made the books into a tv series, which you can stream on a station called MHZ.  I am going to look into buying a month's subscription to watch it.  I believe it's in Swedish with English subtitles. 

@Judaline - Thanks for your recommendation of "CONVERSATIONS WITH ST. BERNARD."  I reserved another dog book that looks interesting, but I haven't read it yet:  "THE FINDERS" by Jeffrey Burton.  Check it out and see if it is something that appeals to you.

Frequent Contributor

HELL IN THE HEARTLAND: Murder, Meth, and the Case of Two Missing Girls by Jax Miller

A true story Murder Mystery.

A true story of a cold case which happened in rural Oklahoma in 1999, in the town of Welch.  The author does an excellent job in her investigation, which took her to northeast Oklahoma and the surrounding area.  She interviewed many people.  Meth was ranpant, and the area was known as Outlaw Land.  She describes in detail the small towns, some of which are now ghost towns, and the good and the bad people who still live there.  One town, which has made headlines is Picher, OK, known as the most toxic town in the nation!  I am about 2/3 into reading this book and it has "knocked my socks off", so to speak!  I am not into mysteries, etc., but this book has me stunned, rattled and amazed.  The sheriff's department and the OSBI, according to the author and townspeople, bungled up this case from the beginning.  Maybe I have just lead a sheltered life, but this book is such an eye opener!  Plus, I cannot lay this book down, as I read and read.  Over the last 20 years this case has made the news, off and on, here in Oklahoma, but now I know the story behind the story, the police cover up and the tragedy of what happened.  WARNING:  A few places in the book are explicit.

THE HEARTH AND EAGLE: A NOVEL by Anya Seton

Historical Fiction

This has become one of my most favorite books.  It is a story of an early settlement long ago in New England, and the family who lived there.  It centers around a woman who grew up there, Hesper Honeywood and her life of triumph and tragedy.  Very well written.  This book is a classic.  This book will stay with you as it is not easily forgotten!

Valued Contributor

Finished, TOO MUCH AND NEVER ENOUGH  by Mary T.

It was an interesting read ...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just fnished The Wife Stalker by Liv Constantine.  Many twists to this thriler.  Ending was a surprise and the very last page left me wondering.  

Also just finished A Bad Day for Sunshine by Darynda Jones.  New Mexico sheriff named Sunshine.  Mystery mixed with humor.

Am now reading Near Dark by Brad Thor.  His books are always excellent thrillers.

Also just read The Dilema by B A Paris and The Girl from Widow Hills by Megan Miranda.

On my to read pile:  Shakedown by Newt Gingrich, All we Buried by Elena Taylor (this will be a new author for me) and The End of Her by Shari Lapena.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

THE DEVIL'S BED by William Kent Krueger.  I've enjoyed other books by this author, especially ORDINARY GRACE.

This is a summary from his website:  

A haunting and atmospheric stand-alone conspiracy thriller.

When President Clay Dixon’s father-in-law—a former vice president—is injured in a farming accident, First Lady Kate Dixon returns to Minnesota to be at his side. Assigned to protect her, Secret Service agent Bo Thorsen soon falls under Kate’s spell. He also suspects the accident is part of a trap set for Kate by David Moses, an escaped mental patient who once loved her. What Bo and Moses don’t realize is that they’re caught in a web of deadly intrigue spun by a seemingly insignificant bureaucratic department within the federal government. Racing to find answers before an assassin’s bullet can kill Kate, Bo soon learns that when you lie down with the devil, there’s hell to pay.