Regular Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfield.  If you're into rom -coms such as Sleepless in Seattle you may enjoy this book.

Summer of '69 by Elin Hildenbrand.

Esteemed Contributor

After reading Where the Crawdads Sing, I needed a book with a little less gravitas, so I'm reading Confessions of an Innocent Man by David R. Dow. This has plenty of drama. I've wanted to read it for quite a while but every time I took it out (for 3 weeks), I started reading other books and this had to go back to the library.

I'm finding this quite interesting, about a man who was convicted of murder for a crime he didn't commit, and his revenge. It's another one that's hard to put down. Has anyone read it?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

This is none of my business as I haven't read either book but when someone says 'it's a tough read' I always think of maybe child abuse, or death of a child or something equally hard to take. Not tough in regards to reading a classic which can be difficult to read because of the intelligence of the authors. Some are way over my head. I don't call that a tough read. There's a word on the tip of my tongue but I can't bring it up. So, just thought I'd throw that in and if I'm way off base you can tell me.

Ah, Jud the Wise, this is absolutely your business, everything on here is  everyone's business, and you nailed it of course.  This is about one child planning, preparing and carrying out a plan to execute his classmates.  And the fallout on his mother, who didn't want to get pregnant in the first place and blames herself though she did nothing wrong whatsoever.  Evil or psychopathic, take your pick, but this kid was born bad and we see from a very young age how he was cruel to his familly and how it worked out and we're there in the room when he's killing classmates in as cruel a way as possible.  Maybe a teacher or two, can't remember.  It's the kids that stick out. 

So yes, that is what makes it a tough read, a very very very tough read made moreso because it's written in first person from the mother's viewpoint.

I recommend it to everybody.  But it's not for everybody and I get that.  I've never been able to shake it off and never will becaise everu time it happens again it puts us all back to the other shootings (Parkland to Sandy Hook to Colombine, etc.) and for those who have read Shriver's book, it puts us in that horrible place with her mother who, while being shunned, was another victim, a living one.

OMgosh, lori, how did you read this? I really get upset by stuff like this, but like your mum I like reading about serial killers but love the detectives more, lol. So I'm a crazy mixed up reader. I guess it's the kids that bothers me so I steer away from that stuff. You give a very good review, miss lori. It will help alot of people to decide whether they want to read it or not.

o/t to @LoriLori  snowball came on our site again. She said she'd love to come back. (I think she's almost there). She also mentioned she wished you would come back, too, and it will be like old times. I know. We can't go back. Makes me sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin, It sure made me think over my life and my relationships with my siblings,I actually enjoyed it!

Onto Under the Table by Stephanie Evanovich, will report when I finish!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading Summer of '69. I never knew what the term "beach read" meant but I guess this is it (does it always involve beaches?).  This is my first Elin Hilderbrand book, and maybe not my usual fare, but I'm enjoying it very much so far.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.  It is a psychological thriller and I thought it was pretty good.

The story unfolds from the perspective of the main female character and her therapist.  It is a relationship that forms by chance and then goes off the rails.  I didn’t guess the ending.  

My my only complaint about the book was the transition between the. Two points of view.  Sometimes in a new chapter it was not clear to me whether it was the therapist talking or the patient.  That can throw off the flow of a book.

Still thought it was good.  Thanks to whoever recommended it.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 I have it in my stack to read,thanks for your review!

Valued Contributor

@hick  I read DEAD WOMAN WALKING,by her really enjoyed it 

Valued Contributor

@CareBears  I loved THE LAST ROMANTIC!Great book

Valued Contributor

@sunala   I so love that book, I am keeping it,I usually don’t keep my books.. Just loved it!