Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

Tonight I finished The Lady in the Lake by Laura Lippman.  Not too long ago I read Sunburn by the same author.  She features lots of characters in her books and has a way of making them sympathetic.  I also enjoy the way she pulls some surprises out of the story thread at the end of her books.  Highly recommend both titles.

Honored Contributor

Carnegie Hill about a couple living in a co-op in NYC it's quite good 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - Just wanted to make sure that you knew that new books by P. J. Tracey ("ICE COLD HEART") and Martha Grimes ("THE OLD SUCCESS") are coming out soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Louise Penny’s new book A Better Man is out.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22 - Just wanted to make sure that you knew that new books by P. J. Tracey ("ICE COLD HEART") and Martha Grimes ("THE OLD SUCCESS") are coming out soon.

@dawg lover  I've been trying to put Ice Cold Heart on waitlist but it's not available yet.  Maybe closer to the release date in September (which is less than two weeks away, lol).  I know you will read it before I do!

I'm also keeping track of The Lying Room (Nicci French) for October.  I've never read any of their stand-alone books.

Respected Contributor

I just read a whirlwind of a book.  All I can say is Wow!  It's Recursion by Blake Crouch.  I found it completely engrossing,  entertaining, and a page turner.  It's about Time Travel and something called False Memory Syndrome.  I really, really enjoyed it.  It was a nice change of genre for me. 

And I just obtained A Dangerous Man (Robert Crais).

Esteemed Contributor

HAPPY SEPTEMBER TO ALL OUR READERS!

THIS AUGUST THREAD IS NOW CLOSED FOR POSTING. PLEASE SEE OUR NEW SEPTEMBER 2019 THREAD.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I read this book several years ago , "  American Eve "  by Paula Uruburu  . Out of many books  that I read over the years this one comes to mind as  one to remember .  It's the story of Evelyn Nesbit  and Stanford White .  Back in the late 60's early 70's there were alot of  popular memorabilia at antique shops  that had images of the " Gibson girl " . I din't know anything abt  this "  Gibson girl  "  until I read this book . Her life story is one  that you wouldn't believe  except for the fact that it is a true story abt a real person.  The book cover  says  " The Birth of the  " It " Girl  and the Crime of the Century . "

Some other  very interesting reads  abt what  has influenced the worlds civilizations the most .

1)  "  The Little Ice Age  " by Brian ******an  ,

2)   " Salt " by Mark Kurlansky 

3)  " Spice "  by Jack Turner .

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes for the second time.  I loved it the first time and loved it again.  We had a power outage for a couple of days and I had the 600 page hardcover borrowed from the library.  I am now ready for the sequel (The Year of the Locust) which I have on request from the library.  LM

I am ready to start Jo Nesbo’s Knife next.  LM