Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

@KentuckyWoman 

I discovered Linda Castillo on this forum and I have read a handful of her Kate Burkholder books.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher , I understand your comment.  Best to space out these reads.  They can be disturbing.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@ Catmamma, I read more than half of Uprooted, and really tried getting into it. The beginning was good, but my problem with it was the character development. I didn't care about Agnieszka and I feel the author could have done better with the Dragon. It wasn't getting anymore interesting for me. 

Glad that you enjoyed the book, though. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@KentuckyWoman 

I discovered Linda Castillo on this forum and I have read a handful of her Kate Burkholder books.  

@icezeus and @KentuckyWoman - I read "Shamed" by Linda Castillo and it was great!  I think it is one of her best books in the series.  I could not put it down!

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

Hello Ladies,

I've been a little slow reading this month; hopefully once I have moved and settled, I will be back at it.  Already have a list TBR.

Today I (finally) finished:

Front Cover

Now that I'm finished, I can say it was good.  Some slow parts that I just skipped over the paragraphs.  Based on women who travelled throughout the really poor parts of Kentucky to drop off books for those who knew how to read.  Much more to the story of course!

I finished this one myself on Tues. morning @roeroe1005 .  I did a bit of research about the family the book was based on. I had never heard of this before.  I wanted a bit more about how Librarian Harriet ended up after all her ways.  It was slow at times but for the most part very good and heart wrenching at many times.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I liked the Cat Lady book. There was just one place where I thought it was getting a little too overwhelming.  Then it picked up.  And I loved the cats!  I think 4 stars is pretty high praise from me. 

I love the title of the book you're reading, The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes.  I'm going to look it up but if it's non fiction I probably won't read it.   

Hi!  I know you liked They Call Me the Cat Lady because four stars from  you is solid. 

This weekend I hope to plow through my "homework" pile but I bought even more books this week!  They all look great!!!

The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes is awesome although I've been cautioned the end disappoints.  I don't care, I love reading it.  And it's about depressing things but it's it's not at all depressing.

Don't know how Ruth Hogan got by me.  She's already had one acclaimed, awarded bestseller in Keeper of Lost Things and seems tee'd up for another with Normal People. 

She's a wonderful writer, lovely lliterary prose that at the same time makes for an easy read.  I'm still reading The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes  (short chapters, one time line) but posted in an update that each page is like unwrapping a gift.  

Honored Contributor

@pateacher   @Lilysmom 

I did read "Defending Jacob" and I wouldn't have but people here were raving about it.  I loved it.  Ironically I never guess the ending of anything but I guess this one.  It didn't detract from my pleasure and it wasn't confirmed til the end anyway,  It's an easy read and I flew through it.

I wouldn't compare it to "We Need to Talk About Kevin," which is a literary masterpiece as opposed to a terrific read.  Shriver is writes complex literary prose at which she's a master and it's not an easy read -- it's actually a tough read, do you agree? -- but fascinating, remarkable and a must-read because of the relevance.

Two fantastic books, top of their genres, just IMO very different.   

Occasional Contributor

Just re-read Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts.  Also re-reading the Cake series by J. Bengtsson.  Just downloaded Under Currents by Nora Roberts from Audible but haven't started yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  Ijust finished The First Mistake by Sandi Jones,it was very good, I think you would enjoy it!

Onto The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin.

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 

I found the photos at the end of the book very interesting.