Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

Heading to the library tonight to pick something out.  In July I read Paper Ghosts, The Good Liar, and Mother-In-Law.....all thanks to this board.  I loved them all.

Thanks for the tip about B&R on the 31st.....since I'l be out going to the library anyway......

Honored Contributor

@sunala 

Hahahahaha, messed with my head too.  No harm no foul, gave us a laugh.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 

Didn't have a chance to thank you in July for re-copying your review of They Call Me the Cat Lady.  Thanks so much.  Wish you'd liked it more but four stars is pretty good.

Depressing books are a trend now.  Not pleased about it.

I'm reading The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes which should be depressing and it's not at all.  Go figure.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22 

Didn't have a chance to thank you in July for re-copying your review of They Call Me the Cat Lady.  Thanks so much.  Wish you'd liked it more but four stars is pretty good.

Depressing books are a trend now.  Not pleased about it.

I'm reading The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes which should be depressing and it's not at all.  Go figure.

@LoriLori  I liked the Cat Lady book. There was just one place where I thought it was getting a little too overwhelming.  Then it picked up.  And I loved the cats!  I think 4 stars is pretty high praise from me. 

I love the title of the book you're reading, The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes.  I'm going to look it up but if it's non fiction I probably won't read it.   

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunala 

Hahahahaha, messed with my head too.  No harm no foul, gave us a laugh.  Smiley Happy

It must be something in the water today.  I was just checking on things in the Recipe forum and @momtochloe started the Aug. Game thread today as well.  We all want to get to fall quicker I think.  Off to B.R.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori , speaking of We Need to talk About Kevin, have you read Defending Jacob by William Landay?

This is the first two paragraphs of a review from The Washington Post (Patrick Answperson) on the book.  I didn’t go further for fear of spoilers.  Check out the reviews on Goodreads.  LM

Source:  Washington Post, Feb 2012 Book Review Patrick Anderson

In the publicity material for William Landay’s Defending Jacob,” its publisher and several advance readers liken the novel to Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent,” arguably the finest of American legal thrillers. The hype is justified. I don’t think Landay’s novel has quite the elegance or gravitas of Turow’s, but it’s an exceptionally serious, suspenseful, engrossing story that deserves and should achieve a large audience.

The similarities start with the fact that Turow and Landay are lawyers who began as prosecutors, and each novel is narrated by a prosecutor who finds himself in grave legal trouble. Each book delves deep into the character of its protagonist and his family, and both offer caustic but informed indictments of our legal system. Finally, both provide a stunning ending. If you remember the surprise at the end of “Presumed Innocent,” be warned that the outcome of “Defending Jacob” is even more unexpected.

Respected Contributor

I plan on reading:

The Vineyard by Barbara Delinsky

Shamed by Linda Castillo

A Good Man by Louise Penny (an Armand Gamache mystery)

Under Currents by Nora Roberts - don't normally read a lot of her books but a friend recommended it.

I am also intrigued by a book called "A Curious Matter of Men With Wings" by F. Rutledge Hammes.  It is fiction and is about the Gullah and geechee cultures in the SC low country.  Takes place between Charleston and Savannah.  I read a sample but not sure if it's something I could finish.  We will see.

Trusted Contributor

Last week I read "Say You're Sorry". I can't remember the author's name. I believe her last name is Rose. I had never read anything of hers before and she's written quite a few other books. It's a thriller about a serial killer in Sacramento. It was a little over 600 pages long and held my attention all the way thru. This week I read " Undercurrents " by Nora Roberts. I was looking for something a little light after the 600 page serial killer book. Surprised me that "undercurrents" had two serial killers. I still enjoyed it. Today I took those two books back to the library, and picked up "Labyrinth" by Catherine Coulter. Am going to start this one later tonight.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@LoriLori , speaking of We Need to talk About Kevin, have you read Defending Jacob by William Landay?

This is the first two paragraphs of a review from The Washington Post (Patrick Answperson) on the book.  I didn’t go further for fear of spoilers.  Check out the reviews on Goodreads.  LM

Source:  Washington Post, Feb 2012 Book Review Patrick Anderson

In the publicity material for William Landay’s Defending Jacob,” its publisher and several advance readers liken the novel to Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent,” arguably the finest of American legal thrillers. The hype is justified. I don’t think Landay’s novel has quite the elegance or gravitas of Turow’s, but it’s an exceptionally serious, suspenseful, engrossing story that deserves and should achieve a large audience.

The similarities start with the fact that Turow and Landay are lawyers who began as prosecutors, and each novel is narrated by a prosecutor who finds himself in grave legal trouble. Each book delves deep into the character of its protagonist and his family, and both offer caustic but informed indictments of our legal system. Finally, both provide a stunning ending. If you remember the surprise at the end of “Presumed Innocent,” be warned that the outcome of “Defending Jacob” is even more unexpected.

@Lilysmom  I read quite a bit, but very few books really affect me like

Defending Jacob did.  I still think about that book from time to time, and it's been several years since I read it.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies,

I've been a little slow reading this month; hopefully once I have moved and settled, I will be back at it.  Already have a list TBR.

Today I (finally) finished:

Front Cover

Now that I'm finished, I can say it was good.  Some slow parts that I just skipped over the paragraphs.  Based on women who travelled throughout the really poor parts of Kentucky to drop off books for those who knew how to read.  Much more to the story of course!