Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

Just finished City Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I've never read any of her books and was pleasantly surprised at how well written it was.   Story of young rich self absorbed girl who is sent to live, in pre WWII NYC, with her aunt.  Aunt runs a run down theater.  Some of the book was a little long in the tooth, so I skim read a few sections, but still enjoyed it.  

Respected Contributor

Today I finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple.  Bernadette, her husband and teenage daughter live in Seattle.  She is a very quirky character to put it mildly.  A lot of the book is in her daughter's words and I liked her the best.  Bernadette uses a virtual assistant to do most of her errands.  She thinks the V.A. is located in India but that's not the case at all.  I would recommend this book.  It is now also a movie starring Cate Blanchett.  I'll rent it when it's out on video so I can see how closely they stuck to the book. 

Respected Contributor

I read The Honey Bus by Meredith May (A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved By Bees).  This book is so beautifully written.  It's heartbreaking, heartwarming and  inspirational.  

I have to contrast it with Educated, the story of a brainwashed girl who went back to her dysfunctional family again and again.  I know it was very popular but that's my opinion.  I got nothing out of that book.

The Honey Bus is about a little girl who was plucked from (what she thought) was her perfect two parent family into a one parent dysfunctional one.  And with the help of her grandfather and the bees she rose above all the challenges she faced.  I can't begin to imagine how she survived living with her personality disordered mother all those years.  It made me cry several times This is one of the best books I've read this year.  Thanks to @LoriLori for recommending it. 

Respected Contributor

I'm now reading One Good Deed by David Baldacci and, oh my goodness, is it slow.  I'm thinking of skipping to the end.  I like one reviewer who said, "Who are you and what have you done with David Baldacci."  My sentiments exactly!  

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET , not sure if you saw my comment on GR.  I'm looking forward to what you think of The Immortalists.  I predict you won't finish and I hope I'm wrong and you love it.

@LoriLori, I did see your comment on GR but forgot to comment.  Sorry.  Why do you predict I won't finish it?  So far, I'm enjoying it.

Valued Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@pateacher  have you read Zelda by Nancy Milford? It's an older book about Zelda Fitzgerald and details the relationship between Zelda and F. Scott. Very well written ; and helps one understand their lives and the Jazz Age era. Highly recommended. 

@teganslaw  Yes!  I've read Zelda.  They were certainly a dynamic though dysfunctional pair.

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@LoriLori  Oh, woe is me! My nephew DID have to read the entire novel.  A new lesson learned, I guess. So I've put F. Scott and Zelda aside for the time being.

I can't say that Moby ****** is my favorite novel from that period, but I can appreciate how the various characters deal with fate and free will. The themes are still relevant.

Ishmael IS one of my favorite characters especially in his acceptance of Queequeg as an equal.

You can sure tell that Ishmael was a teacher! You are getting a whole lot of whaling history and legend, which adds to comprehension of life on the sea.

I am using my one free Audible title to listen AND read.  I think my nephew should do the same.   

I think I've read a book titled Ahab"s Wife, which was good.

Maybe, I'll get to the Fitzgeralds next week.

@pateacher    I love that book so much.   I don't listen to books but that one I would probably love to (having read it several times).

The few times I was on Nantucket whoever I was with just wanted to sun and chill and snack and drink (and if it was women, shop for basket purses) would want to gag me because Nantuckett.   Setting foot on the island would send me into squee spasms because Melville!  Moby!  And of course because he really was a whaler and it all started there.  

Looking forward to finding out what the nephew thinks.  LOL at lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Question:

Thanks to @sunala  and a lot of others here, but I think she was first, I read and loved Athur Truluv.  Not a book I would have otherwise read.

Now I've got a copy of The Confession Club on the way, and I know it's the third in her Mason series.  I haven't read the second, Night of Miracles. 

Do I need to read that quickly (hah, I read like a turtle) or are her Mason books linked but not essential to read in order?

Thanks in advance, ladies and gentleman.

Thanks for the like.  I know I blah blah blah people probably make their grocery lists in their head whlie reading my posts -- but I need an answer to the question ASAP:  

Do I need to read Night of Miracles before I start The Confession Club?  Will I miss out on anything if I don't?

TiA!!!!

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET , not sure if you saw my comment on GR.  I'm looking forward to what you think of The Immortalists.  I predict you won't finish and I hope I'm wrong and you love it.

@LoriLori, I did see your comment on GR but forgot to comment.  Sorry.  Why do you predict I won't finish it?  So far, I'm enjoying it.

Great!  Look forward to your review and do message me as you go on.  Because I think some parts...spoilers!

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I read The Honey Bus by Meredith May (A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved By Bees).  This book is so beautifully written.  It's heartbreaking, heartwarming and  inspirational.  

I have to contrast it with Educated, the story of a brainwashed girl who went back to her dysfunctional family again and again.  I know it was very popular but that's my opinion.  I got nothing out of that book.

The Honey Bus is about a little girl who was plucked from (what she thought) was her perfect two parent family into a one parent dysfunctional one.  And with the help of her grandfather and the bees she rose above all the challenges she faced.  I can't begin to imagine how she survived living with her personality disordered mother all those years.  It made me cry several times This is one of the best books I've read this year.  Thanks to @LoriLori for recommending it. 

The day is young, Smoky, and you may have made mine already.  I could stand up and cheer (but not do splits anymore) that you loved it!!! 

I wish everyone would read it.  I wish it would be a bestseller.  Like I've said before, I'd like to buy the world a copy and keep them company!

As for her childhood it was a day at the beach compared to a lot I know...although yes, she was young and had no idea what others' experiences were...

...but overall it didn't matter.  Most of the book and all of the joy is GRANDPA AND THE BEES.  

I found a blog she has or something, forget how, but it had his obit and a picture.  It was exciting to see him! 

ANYONE WHO WANTS A PIECE OF HAPPINESS READ THIS BOOK!  Right, Smoky?  (PS:  Fascinating learning why they use the smoke around the bees)