Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? AUGUST 2019

Yesterday I finished reading My Last Continent by Midge Raymond.  The book takes place in Antartica, where environmental workers go every year on a special ship to work with penguins and study the environment. I'd never known much about the South Pole or penguins for that matter except that they are so adorable.

This is a novel but I did learn a lot about the South Pole. It's a love story as well as the story of a tragedy. I really enjoyed it.

Today I started reading False Step by Victoria Helen Stone. It was my selection in the June 2019 Kindle First books. I'm enjoying it and find it hard to put it down.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

This week I finished Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser.  It's a mystery about a woman and  her two young children who disappear.  She is a widow and her deceased husband is the father.  She is now married to a doctor who is the main suspect in the disappearance.  It's a close neighborhood so everyone is being interviewed by police, trying to remember if they overlooked something they saw or heard, and very concerned about the mother and children.  Towards the end of the book I was getting a little creeped out from a few things.  The ending has a surprise twist.  I would recommend this book. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Jinx Schwartz's latest Hetta Coffey book Just A Happy Camper.  Good, but not my favorite.  The series itself is excellent, free on Amazon Unlimited, and is just fun.

If you like a funny female character, who is smart and not afraid of danger, and if you like to learn about geographic locations (Mexico, Sea of Cortez, Mexican laws, Texas, and border crossings), along with a dog named Po Thang and a bird named Trouble, and a gorgeous best friend, then you will love Hetta's adventures.  Hetta lives on a 45-foot yacht and is always up for an adventure.  

I definitely recommend this series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

Love Ann Cleeves, and really enjoy the British series based on her character Vera Stanhope ('Vera').

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Lemon Sisters by Jill Shalvis, I really enjoyed it!

Next up The Mistake by K.L. Slater, will report when I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone , I haven’t read Ann Cleeves either.  Maybe this is a good one to start.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I finished Outfox by Sandra Brown.  It was published this month.  I liked this book and thought it was worth the money I spent for the Kindle edition. 

The plot is the search for a serial killer.  The main female character is married to the killer and the main male character is the agent dedicated to ending the killing spree.  There is "instant chemistry" between these two characters.  There is plenty of action in this book to keep it interesting, the characters are smart, and the romantic tension is good.

It isn't a perfect book.  It is a little too long (448 pages), the s*x scenes are a little too graphic, and the ending was a little too predictable.  But I still recommend it.  

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22  - I attempted to read "The Swallows" by Lisa Lutz yesterday, and pulled the bookmark fairly soon.  I can't even tell you about the plot, as it was so graphic.  Not my cup of tea at all; what a comedown for her.

In good news, Alexander McCall Smith is writing the screenplay for a Scotland Street tv series!

Back to my Peter Robinson books; I am really enjoying the Inspector Banks series.

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2  I put in a request this morning, thank you for highlighting this book!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm wrapping up All Dressed in White by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke. 

Tomorrow I will start The Escape Room by Megan Goldin.