Regular Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

@LoriLori  The book was fine, but wasn't my favorite. I read it for Book Club and found the story to be a little bland. Conan Doyle made an appearance, but the book was more about relationships and figuring out the whole story through the dual timelines. The writing was lovely and there were excellent quotes along the way, but the plot wasn't as engaging as the words. It was weird to love indivual lines so much that I wanted to write them down and remember them and share them with others, and then to be disappointed with the lack of story.

Regular Contributor

Well, I finished Wild at Heart (4 stars) and Maisie Dobbs (3 stars) and then I read The Key to Happily Ever After (Marcelo) and My Life Next Door (Fitzpatrick) ..maybe I wasn't in the mood for them and they are actually good books, but they certainly weren't for me. I'm probably just being a grumpy reader.

Now I am reading:
Bluebird Bluebird by Attica Locke 

Fatal Accusation by Marie Force 

Valued Contributor

Virgina Woolf"s "To The Lighthouse"

Respected Contributor

I tried to read The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner which showed up in my mailbox telling me I won it from St. Martin's Press.  Not my type of book since I'm not a Jane Austen lover nor a lover of classic books to relate to.  Gave it 49 pages.

Onto Abbi Waxman's The Bookish Life of Nina Hill.  I loved her previous books. 

Respected Contributor

Last reads for April 2020 for me:

1.  Good As Gone  by Larry Watson.  This is a family saga.  What's unique (at least to me) is the setting: the state of Montana.  It just has a "Western" flair.  It was an unexpectedly good read. 

2.  By Blood by Ellen Ullman.  Boy, there's a lot to this story.  A bit of explicit sex, so be aware; if that bothers you, skip it.  The story is a very compelling quest for belonging and identity.  The setting is San Francisco, but a lot of the story goes back to the end of WW II in Europe and right after that sad chaper in history.  This is also a good read, but it is not a cheerful story by any means.  

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Last reads for April 2020 for me:

1.  Good As Gone  by Larry Watson.  This is a family saga.  What's unique (at least to me) is the setting: the state of Montana.  It just has a "Western" flair.  It was an unexpectedly good read. 

@maximillian 

Maybe you have but in case not I highly recommend Larry Watson's MONTANA 1948  and the prequel, JUSTICE (which must be read second).  They are the books that put him on the map and in the case of MONTANA 1948 won awards (maybe JUSTICE did too) they're terrific. 

I've also read WHITE CROSSES which I liked and IN A DARK TIME which I didn't and so I stopped reading him.  I'm going to read GOOD AS GONE.  It sounds closest to his earleir stuff and has gotten very good reviews, and I appreciate yours.  Smiley Happy)

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  I liked the movie but it's true-ONLY if you've read the book. I thought she looked older than Britt-Marie in the book. Loved the policeman. It all confused me at first, huh? Where's her boss. Who pays her. I couldn't ever figure that part out.

DH was pretty silent during the first maybe...........40 minutes or so. Then I heard a little laugh, then he seemed to be enjoying it. It's not a 'wow, you gotta see this movie' kind of movie. Like I said, you have to have read the book. Wait-DH didn't read the book and he kinda liked it, I could tell.  I really think I ought to be a professional book reviewer, don't you? hahahahaha

Thanks, Jud, and for sharing hubs' reaction!!  Appreciate the explanation.  Added it on Prime and as I said, re-watching Ove is a must as well.  She doesn't look like I imagined her either though that actress, I've seen her work before and she's very good.  In "My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Story" I too pictured her as younger and even with her quirks as more of a trophy wife.  Oh well it's included with Prime Smiley Wink   

Take care, pal Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Frederik Backman fans:

ANXIOUS PEOPLE will be one of the books published on time -- September 8th.  It's available for pre-order. The cover was a big disappointment to me, headscratching really, but maybe that was one of the sacrifices Atria made in order to get the book out.  So don't judge this one by its cover, which doesn't represent the book well at all.

And of course there won't likely be a book tour though considering what happened last time that may not be a bad thing, this is such a wonderful book it will find its audience. 

(For anyone who doesn't know Margaret Atwood has set up a streaming thing for people whose book tours were and are canceled, although it's not for bestselling authors like Backman.)

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished All Sales Final by Josie Belle, this was a cozy murder mystery that I really enjoyed, fast read, and after reading 2 very deep books, I needed a nice change of pace, this was enjoyable!

Super Contributor

John Grisham Camino Winds. Sounds like a sequel to Camino Island.  Love it.