Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

Just finished A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende. The story takes palce during the Spanish Civil war in the 30's and covers about 40 years. Very good book. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I read Saint X (Alexis Schaitkin), which represents any Caribbean island.  It begins with the mysterious death of a rich, white girl who was vacationing on the island with her parents and younger sister.  The sister grows up obsessed with who her sister really was and what happened that night.  The story is revealed in layers, by people on the island and even peripheral characters, as we learn about the effects of race, class, sex, privilege, family, etc.  Very well written. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been reading many books over the past month, but I just finished a really good one.  November's Past (Larry Macklin Mysteries Book 1) by A. E. Howe.

Takes place in Florida, with Larry being a deputy and his father the sheriff.  This book has a mystery of arson and murder, among other things.   A really good start to a new, to me, mystery series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I have been reading many books over the past month, but I just finished a really good one.  November's Past (Larry Macklin Mysteries Book 1) by A. E. Howe.

Takes place in Florida, with Larry being a deputy and his father the sheriff.  This book has a mystery of arson and murder, among other things.   A really good start to a new, to me, mystery series.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. I think I'll like this series and if the library ever reopens I'm on it!

Honored Contributor

Finished Fear Nothing by Lisa Gardner, love her books! This one was really good, but it did take me a bit to get into it, but once I did it was fast, good reading! On to my next Lisa Gardner book-LIVE TO TELL!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline  sorry to hear about your GD and so glad she's well and everyone else and hope that goes for everyone reading this.  My cousin the RN in NY, seven patients died Friday on her shift...

Britt-Marie is on Amazon Prime and I don't know, besides the rodent, she doesn't look like she did in my head like Ove did -- that's also on Prime so I'll watch him again too and be grateful Tom Hanks' version is delayed...

The reviews for Britt-Marie are mixed but the consensus is you have to have read the book which tells me the movie has issues...

Stay well  Smiley Happy)

Honored Contributor

Late to the party as always (I buy them new in hardcover and they sit and sit and sit) but decided my next book will be

The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai

I detested her first one but I know this is beloved and...it seems like the right time.  Or maybe not, I'll know soon enough Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I liked the movie but it's true-ONLY if you've read the book. I thought she looked older than Britt-Marie in the book. Loved the policeman. It all confused me at first, huh? Where's her boss. Who pays her. I couldn't ever figure that part out.

DH was pretty silent during the first maybe...........40 minutes or so. Then I heard a little laugh, then he seemed to be enjoying it. It's not a 'wow, you gotta see this movie' kind of movie. Like I said, you have to have read the book. Wait-DH didn't read the book and he kinda liked it, I could tell.  I really think I ought to be a professional book reviewer, don't you? hahahahaha

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really enjoyed Diane Chamberlain's Big Lies In A Small Town.  It's been a while since I've read of her books.  It was an enjoyable book with a few surprises thrown in.

Going to read The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner next.  Not a big Jane Austen or British book but I got a copy from St. Martin's Press.  I don't recall entering a contest or giveaway for it either.  Typical.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Girl Behind The Red Rope by Ted Dekker & Rachelle Dekker, Another very deep book, that is all I am going to say,